What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Issues

Mconner7

Well Known Member
I flew the -10 today and on the first startup cold, I got a kick back. That’s a first. I have one slick impulse mag and one SureFly sim on my carb’d O-540. On the second start after a 30 minute refueling stop, I had a major exhaust backfire. Again never had one before.

I am thinking since the impulse slick has almost 400 hours since a homespun SB, I may have an E Gap issue. Option B is the impulse coupler is firing early.

opinions?

I flew the -10 today and on the first startup cold, I got a kick back. That’s a first. I have one slick impulse mag and one SureFly sim on my carb’d O-540. On the second start after a 30 minute refueling stop, I had a major exhaust backfire. Again never had one before.

I am thinking since the impulse slick has almost 400 hours since a homespun SB, I may have an E Gap issue. Option B is the impulse coupler is firing early.

opinions?

Ok here is the answer. I replaced the mag with a rebuilt one. Opened the old mag and it was arcing internally…..

Attachments

• IMG_5904.jpeg
    IMG_5904.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
Ok here is the answer. I replaced the mag with a rebuilt one. Opened the old mag and it was arcing internally…..
Is the silver colored metal piece loose on the plastic rotor?
We discovered a Manufacturing issue with this part quite a few years ago at vans and actually started a investigation after writing a service difficulty report because we found multiple bad ones.
This occurred right about the time that champion took over the slick, magneto business.
For a while, champion was actually exchanging new parts for ones that were found to have the conductor loose. We got at least two new ones on exchange that had the exact same problem new out of the box.
This is something that should be looked at very closely at every magneto inspection.

We discovered a Manufacturing issue with this part quite a few years ago at vans and actually started a investigation after writing a service difficulty report because we found multiple bad ones.
This occurred right about the time that champion took over the slick, magneto business.
For a while, champion was actually exchanging new parts for ones that were found to have the conductor loose. We got at least two new ones on exchange that had the exact same problem new out of the box.
This is something that should be looked at very closely at every magneto inspection.
That sounds like the problem the Slick SB1-15A covers, where the Copper electrode distributor gear assembly is replaced by the Monel electrode distributor gear assembly. But it's only applicable to certain 4-cylinder mags.

Last edited:
No it was tigh.

They don't provide impulse coupled mags on 6 cyl lycs any longer due to problems with the mags.

They don't provide impulse coupled mags on 6 cyl lycs any longer due to problems with the mags.
I don’t see how the impulse vs non would matter with the arcing but know they use different technology for a staring mag now.

Back