What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO540C4B5 mount clearance

nightflier

Patron
Does anyone know if a IO540C4B5 will fit on a RV10. I'm concerned about the sump clearance. I know the D4A5 is preferred.

Does anyone know if a IO540C4B5 will fit on a RV10. I'm concerned about the sump clearance. I know the D4A5 is preferred.

For all intents and purposes the C4B5 (which is what I have) and the D4A5 are the same engine. There are no fitment issues other than a potential minor mod to the baffles.

If you check the Lycoming parts manual you’ll find that there a very few differences between the c4b5 and d4a5.
The main difference being the mounting ears. Studs on the prop governor and oil dipstick. (The oil dipstick works fine in the rv10 The other two items need changing). The c4b5 is rated to 250hp at 2575 and the d4a5 260 at 2700 but all rotating parts pistons etc are the same. So my engine rebuilder listed mine as a change to d4a5 in the logs.
I can’t remember now but I think the fuel injection was recalibrated to the higher rpm and HP.

I think the sump clearance was a very early kit issue that was resolved years ago. (The c4b5 and d4a5 have the identical sump)

regards Peter

Literally installed a C4B5 on a 10 this week, as mentioned they are basically the same. Mount holes need changed, prop Gov studs, . But essentially the same ,many Rv10 have C4B5

Back