What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introducing FlyLEDs

Wow!
Thank you very much for taking the time to put your video together, Paul. I'm honored that you put in that much effort!
You have to be pleased with the outcome. There's no doubt you'll be seen for miles with the Baja lights as well.

Looks great

Thank you for the review. That is the direction I was looking at and you helped make that decision easy.

flyleds review follow up and Baja Designs LEDS

Hello all,

I didn't mention in my earlier video, (a couple post ago this thread), some very real advantages to the flyleds. First is the reduction in current draw from the old nav/strobes I had, I don't remember exactly but between the two it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 amps! Another big advantage was being able to take out the 2.1 pound flasher control which in my case was mounted a foot behind the aft baggage compartment bulkhead. My plane really needed to ditch this thing too because I'm a little tail heavy! Now if I could get rid of the ELT back there!

A word regarding the Baja Designs LED landing lights. I am very happy with them. Again the reduction in current.... from 12 amps down to 3.3 amps, (and that's per side!!!). Before replacing the nav/strobe/landing lights with all LEDs, I could only turn on my landing lights above 2000 RPM or so because of the large current draw. Now I can sit on the ramp at idle and have EVERYTHING on and no problems!

I took this time to also install the Wig Wag switch to increase my aircrafts visibility to others. I feel it's a huge increase in safety. These puppies are incredibly bright anyway and with them flashing it's even better!
When I was doing a little digging regarding wig wags, I read somewhere that Quantes Airlines installed some as a test on some of their commercial airliners. I don't know how they come up with their test results but the article stated there was a 10-50% reduction in bird strikes on the jets with wig wags installed. Hopefully it will have the same effect with general aviation airplanes as well.

And a final note. I had concerns of RFI but am very happy to report there is ZERO with either the Flyleds or the Baja Designs LEDS. I did use shielded wire as instructed with the Flyleds and I also used it with the Baja LEDs.

Last edited:
I just bought the wingtip kit with skinny boards and the tail light plus the wiring from Flyleds. It looks great. I can't wait to get it installed. Also he returns emails very quickly.

Back