What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intermittent Dynon SV32

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,

I have a legacy D180 with the HS34 and the SV32 roll and pitch servos. Out of the blue, the roll servo will go on and offline. I have double checked the connections for all the wires. When I’m on the ground, the servo calibration is perfect along with the test.

I moved my Uavionex tail beacon from the tail to the right wing tip, where it is embedded inside the wing tip. The shielded wires for that unit occupy the same conduit as the SV32. Is it possible that this could be causing the intermittency?

I haven’t flown it with the tailbeacon turned off, but that is the next test. If that is the cause, is there a solution without moving the tail beacon from that location?

Thanks

Don

Given that the additional TailBeacon wires in the conduit are just power and ground, and that they only carry 0.5A, I don't think they would be be a factor. Good luck troubleshooting. I had an SV32 servo drop on/off the network, ended up sending it back to Dynon for repairs.

I'm curious... is the tail beacon still "sniffing" correctly when the servo issues are presenting? (I'm D100, SV32s, HS34, AP74, tail beacon) May want to check your ADS-B reports for flights before/after the change.

I'm curious... is the tail beacon still "sniffing" correctly when the servo issues are presenting? (I'm D100, SV32s, HS34, AP74, tail beacon) May want to check your ADS-B reports for flights before/after the change.
I checked my report and all is good as far as the performance report goes. Just wondering if RF from the tailbeacon could interfere with the SV32?

Given that the additional TailBeacon wires in the conduit are just power and ground, and that they only carry 0.5A, I don't think they would be be a factor. Good luck troubleshooting. I had an SV32 servo drop on/off the network, ended up sending it back to Dynon for repairs.
There is the Tx and Rx wires as well…p

There is the Tx and Rx wires as well…p
Ah ha, so you have the TailbeaconX remote transponder installed not the Tailbeacon.

The Tx and Rx wires connected to the control head are for the communication of RS232 serial data. Given that they are shielded and there isn't a lot of power travelling on an RS232 cable, I don't think it would be causing a problem in the conduit. If it's leaking, it's most likely leaking at the hood/terminal end.

Since this is a TSO product, I would check with Uavionix.

I have a D100/SV-32x2/AP-74 system, and am experiencing intermittent to (now) near constant pitch servo dropping off line. Alt hold has become unusable. I have replaced the AP-74, and sent the servo to Dynon for service. I also put in a new connector at the pitch servo connection, and ohm'd all the wires for continuity. Servo cal and test all work fine. No joy, and no Uavionox in my plane (ADS-B via an GNX-375). Thinking of changing out to SV-42's, as my RV-S6 is heavy (IO540, etc), to see if new servos fixes it. If you find a smoking gun or a fix, I'd be very interested, and will post here if I find any clues.

Cheers,
Bob

Back