What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Paint - Rivet Heads and Bolts

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
For interior areas that were primed and then assembled (so have bare rivet manufactured heads): When time comes to paint the interior, do I need to shoot more primer to cover the rivet heads first, or do most people just shoot paint without worrying about doing something to prep the rivets? I think many areas are a non-issue because they won't get wear and the paint should stick fine, but something like the baggage area will. For example, if I don't prime over all of the pop rivets before painting, am I just asking for paint to start chipping there?

On a side note, is it typical to pull out things like the flap weldment before painting, so I'm not painting over bolt heads (like the bolts that attach the plastic weldment blocks to the seat back bulkhead)?

You could "spot" prime rivet heads with detail artist brush before painting and avoid total re-prime. Personally, if at all possible, I find it good form not to paint hardware. removal or mask before painting.

If you want to do it right, any bare metal needs to be properly prepared (e.g. scuffed, cleaned, primed) before it gets paint. And I agree with the last guy that I wouldn't paint any hardware if you can help it.

I removed everything that could be removed before painting the interior and masked anything that didn't get paint. It takes some time, but it makes it easier to paint and you don't get any "shadowing".

Back