What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

info on purchasing a new engine

turbo

Well Known Member
times have changed since purchasing my last engine in 2007 like price and availability. would be interested in a discussion on contacts for purchasing a new Lycoming 0360 A1A. thanks and safe flying out there.

Pretty much non existent if you want it quickly. You either have to buy an overhauled one for the price of what a new one used to cost, or wait a couple years. Or buy one at top dollar from someone that already waited the couple years for you.

You can get an O-360-A1A (obviously not a Lycoming though) from Aerosport Power. They’re built to exactly the same specs as a Lycoming and lead time at the moment is 6-8 months.

times have changed since purchasing my last engine in 2007 like price and availability. would be interested in a discussion on contacts for purchasing a new Lycoming 0360 A1A. thanks and safe flying out there.

Are you ready for the 3rd engine Turbo? I will never catch you...

Turbo and John - 1.jpeg

As far as I can tell everything they normally sell is still available. I’ve just paid my deposit on an O-360-A1A hence my previous post.
Can you give an indication of pricing and brand, i.e. is it Superior XP-360?

The 375 they sell is a Titan kit from Continental that they assemble and port/polish/balance if you get those options. They'll also install almost any fuel and ignition system you want as well. I got mine in 2020 with SDS fuel and ignition, ECI tapered cylinders, and dual alternators and paid 45ish for it. I'm sure it's more like 50-55 now though. Darren is a great guy to work with. Fill out the quote request on there site and give Darren a call, he'll be able to answer the supplier questions about the 360.

What Agent 4573 said. 😊 I’ve been pestering Darren for over 12 months now with questions and quote requests. He’s been great to deal with and every time he has responded to my emails within 24 hours.

G'day Warbo,

glad to see you are progressing.

Thanks for the hints on time, & price.
Are you planning the supervised build option in Kamloops ?
My 2007 vintage M1B still going well in the RV-7.

G'day Warbo,

glad to see you are progressing.

Thanks for the hints on time, & price.
Are you planning the supervised build option in Kamloops ?
My 2007 vintage M1B still going well in the RV-7.
G’day Rags,

Yeah, still making progress in spite of the distractions of the other two aircraft. 😜 I would dearly love to do the supervised build option but the budget is taking a bit of a hammering with the exchange rate. Good to see the M1B is hanging in there. Did you notice my registration mark - VH-X7A? Had to get in quick for that one - plenty of people were after it.

...Did you notice my registration mark - VH-X7A? Had to get in quick for that one - plenty of people were after it.

I noticed that and held VH-X6A for 12 mths but let it lapse because it seemed a mouthful in practice "Vans RV6A X-ray Six Alpha". So I got recycled "mike echo zulu" instead.

Apologies for the thread drift.

G’day Rags,

Yeah, still making progress in spite of the distractions of the other two aircraft. 😜 I would dearly love to do the supervised build option but the budget is taking a bit of a hammering with the exchange rate. Good to see the M1B is hanging in there. Did you notice my registration mark - VH-X7A? Had to get in quick for that one - plenty of people were after it.
Yes mate - I did notice X7A and 8RV.

I agree with Paul in the west: I was sick of flying the CAP-10 'SZY' in Tamworth, and so was the tower. That is why I registered the RV7 as 'YMG'.

🤓

Given the still murky situation at Van's I'd go for a Continental Titan... good pricing and probably good quality.

Yes mate - I did notice X7A and 8RV.

I agree with Paul in the west: I was sick of flying the CAP-10 'SZY' in Tamworth, and so was the tower. That is why I registered the RV7 as 'YMG'.

🤓
I wasn’t quick enough but in the second round of releases, some lucky soul got VH-AV8. Probably end up on a jabiru.

Are you ready for the 3rd engine Turbo? I will never catch you...
yes, 2,000 tach hours now, having a cylinder replaced due to exhaust valve beyond wobble limits , feeling like time to go new again.

couldn't imagine a nicer guy than you to be know to be running these machines to the highest times.

by the way, I have a removed turn coordinator available to you if you can use it. get in touch if interested.

love the old rv pics in your collections. I think the last mystery pic one was from spurwinks event. the good old days.

thanks for all the engine info posted here. keep them coming. turbo out.
IMG_0773.jpeg

Another positive vote for Aerosport power. Has anyone recently spoke with them about the build assist program? Perhaps you can get an engine quicker if your willing to participate?

Jimmy at JB Engines at Sebring are great people to work with. They did my IO 540 for my -10. They were recommended to me back when I was building the plane by other builders. Not too far from you either.

Back