What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Impulse coupled mag on right with lightspeed ignition on left?

Kooshball

Well Known Member
A bit of background…I have an RV4 with an AIO-360 that the builder setup with a lightspeed ignition on the left and a slick mag on the right. It is wired with a push button starter and setup in such a way that the starter will not engage if the right mag is on so you must remember to keep that toggle off or it will not start.

If by some chance my ignition fails in flight and for whatever reason I need to hit the starter I don’t think the engine will start with this setup.

If I add an impulse coupled mag on the right and rewire the starting circuit to be able to start on both, right or left will I have any issues? I have only ever hear of impulse couplers being on the left so I want to be sure that this will work before I go any further.

Thanks!

If I add an impulse coupled mag on the right and rewire the starting circuit to be able to start on both, right or left will I have any issues? I have only ever hear of impulse couplers being on the left so I want to be sure that this will work before I go any further.

Thanks!
Impulse mags work fine on either or both sides. I had 2 impulse mags on my -6 for many years. You may start on "both" with your proposed set-up.

I have an O320 with Lightspeed II+ on left and an impulse coupled Slick on the right. Starts fine with Bendix switch in both.

A bit of background…I have an RV4 with an AIO-360 that the builder setup with a lightspeed ignition on the left and a slick mag on the right. It is wired with a push button starter and setup in such a way that the starter will not engage if the right mag is on so you must remember to keep that toggle off or it will not start.

If by some chance my ignition fails in flight and for whatever reason I need to hit the starter I don’t think the engine will start with this setup.

Thanks!
I have a slick with impulse on the left and light speed direct crank sensor on the “right” with toggle switches and a push button starter. I Start with both ON. Set up works great.

Consider adding a Slick Surestart instead of the impulse coupler. there will be no extra mechanical parts to worry about. I’ve done that, and it seems to really make a difference in hot starts. I have one Plasma III and one mag.

Vic

Consider adding a Slick Surestart instead of the impulse coupler. there will be no extra mechanical parts to worry about. I’ve done that, and it seems to really make a difference in hot starts. I have one Plasma III and one mag.

Vic
Vic, does the surestart retard the timing at low rpm too?

The Surestart is only active at starting. It requires a mag with retard points, like a 6393 for the 6 cylinder.

I wonder what your concern is? If the left mag fails in flight, the right one should just keep running. Even if it’s off, the prop usually keeps spinning fast enough that a retard mechanism isn’t needed, just turn the right on. Worst case, you had the mag off and the prop stops, turn the right off, engage the starter. The air will keep the prop spinning. Turn on the mag.

Back