What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition on warning

bmellis11

Well Known Member
Sponsor
For those with electronic ignitions tied to an always hot engine bus (like in Nuckolls' Z101) that don't have keyed ignitions, do you have some sort of warning system that lets you know if you have left the ignition on even though you have turned the master off and shut everything else down? I'm worried about someone turning the prop and accidentally starting it when they think everything is shut down.

EDIT: I'm thinking an electric buzzer wired in parallel with the ignition power lead coming from the ignition switch would work (like when you leave your keys in a car's ignition). It would be on all the time that the ignition was on, but you wouldn't hear it with the engine running.

Last edited:
Toggle switches down = ignition off, but always treat prop as "hot" in case there is a wiring fault for the P lead (or electronic equivalent).

Toggle switches down = ignition off, but always treat prop as "hot" in case there is a wiring fault for the P lead (or electronic equivalent).

Hi Paul, I'm talking about the situation where I forget to put the toggle switches down. Master will be off along with all avionics, everything will look shut down, but the ignition will still be hot. I'm worried about someone that doesn't know to always treat the prop as hot.

Let's just say from experience that the first time you leave them on and tank both batteries ... you'll never forget to check them again, twice, maybe three times.

Those two switches are the first two to go on, and the first two to go off.

The buzzer might work, I've just decided not to do it ever again!

Cheers

The following two diagrams show my Sonalert wiring to the electronic ignition. If the Master is turned OFF, but the ignition switch is ON, the Sonalert sounds. This prevents discharge of the ignition and main batteries.

http://www.vx-aviation.com/sprocket/photos/panel_elec/schematics-2/MASTER.pdf (see Sonalert at bottom)

http://www.vx-aviation.com/sprocket/photos/panel_elec/schematics-2/IGN.pdf
(See Right ignition switching).

I like the way you tied it to the master like that. I think I may do something similar. Thanks for the schematics.

A friend of mine has used the NC oil pressure switch connected to buzzer approach and it works great.

I use a BRIGHT GREEN LED next to the power switch. Green="GO".
Not distracting during flight and OBVIOUS when everything else is shut down.

Cheap, quick, and easy.

Low voltage warning board on IGN2. Sounds a beeper and flashes an LED if ignition supply voltage drops below a preset 13V. So, I get an inflight warning if the IGN2 battery is disconnected from the charging system, and a ignition on warning when the engine isn't turning.

Green in the diagram is a basic battery check circuit. Pushing the check button displays IGN2 battery voltage under load.

Attachments

• Dual EI Wiring w Warning.jpg
    Dual EI Wiring w Warning.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Board in Box.jpg
    Board in Box.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IGN2 Low Voltage Warning.jpg
    IGN2 Low Voltage Warning.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 38
I used a DPDT switch for ignition. The power via a 1 amp inline fuse to a buzzer under the cowl on one side of the switch. The ground provided via the alternator idiot light terminal.

Engine running, no ground so no buzzer. Engine off but power on, the ground is applied. I put it on the engine side of the firewall to make sure it was heard.

You can do this on any ignition that uses toggle switches.

Carl

Many EIs require at least one complete crank rev within a certain time period to initiate a spark event.

I used a DPDT switch for ignition. The power via a 1 amp inline fuse to a buzzer under the cowl on one side of the switch. The ground provided via the alternator idiot light terminal.

Engine running, no ground so no buzzer. Engine off but power on, the ground is applied. I put it on the engine side of the firewall to make sure it was heard.

You can do this on any ignition that uses toggle switches.
Carl

Very clever!

If you have an oil pressure switch that drives a Hobbs meter or warning lamp (or both) you can do something similar, again using double-pole switches for your ignitions.

Hi,

In regards to an aural warning with the master switch off and ignition on, one possible event I have heard of could lead you to wish you could cancel the aural warning when in flight. It is a very remote chance but it actually happened to a friend of mine who was in IMC. As he was flying along, suddenly he saw smoke billowing from under the instrument panel. He turned off his master switch since he decided it was an electrical fire getting going. So he had his engine running with the master off. In that instance, it would be nice to be able to cancel the aural warning assuming you could still hear that warning with the engine running.

Bob

Last edited:
Back