What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR approach in an RV (boring video)

I wish more people made videos like this. I'm working on an IPC (which will probably be twice as much work as the last one 10 years ago) and I didn't find this boring at all.

Why did the AP disconnect at about 3:07? I'm assuming the AP disconnect at 4:08 was when you decided to hand fly from that point. Some of the G3X audio would be great to have in the video.

Last edited:
I wish more people made videos like this. I'm working on an IPC (which will probably be twice as much work as the last one 10 years ago) and I didn't find this boring at all.

Why did the AP disconnect at about 3:07? I'm assuming the AP disconnect at 4:08 was when you decided to hand fly from that point. Some of the G3X audio would be great to have in the video.

Hmmm….I’ll have to try to figure it out. I may have tapped it off to check aileron trim or something (manual aileron trim in my plane). I have the disconnect on my stick so I can control it from there so it might have been that, but I can’t actually swear in court why I did that 😀

Here's a video of shooting an approach in the RV.

I will readily admit this is NOT the most exciting video. With the cloud deck just above mins it was just too tempting to NOT go fly approaches into my old home field (before I moved).

Great video -- your commentary added after-the-fact is very valuable, along with the combo of displays & outside views. I'm a steam-gauge pilot building with a G3X/650/507 panel so there's lots to learn. I also wondered about the AP disconnect -- and about altitude assignment(s) as you were coming onto the final approach course: were you assigned lower to intercept GP?

Videos about IMC flying are NEVER boring! Thanks for posting. Enjoyed watching and the commentary. Great job!

Back