What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to make carpet stick

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Well, you may have noticed I just created a dedicated 'interiors' forum.

Here's the first thread.....

The piece of carpet that I have in Flash under my feet is cut to fit, and simply resting in place with no means of attaching it to the floor. I have pieces of foam custom fit between the longerons that runs along the floor between my feet and the carpet is resting on top of that.

I'm curious as to what methods people are using to attach the floor carpet in their RVs. If I fly solo the carpet stays in place perfectly - if I take a passenger the carpet inevitably crumples up in spots as they climb in/out.

Picture of the 'foam' in place:
http://www.vansairforce.net/N617ARVirtualTour/Panel.jpg

Pic of the carpet laying on top:
http://www.vansairforce.net/N617ARVirtualTour/ADI_panel.jpg

Pictures, techniques, fastners, etc. Whatever you got is appreciated.

(after I tackle this I'll hit the readership up for ideas on dressing up the sides of my interior :) )

Best,
Doug

I stitched velcro strips to the underside of the carpet and used stick-on velcro on the floor panels.

Broken-wrench said:
At the airlines we used double sided carpet tape. you can get it at home depot

That's what I do at every annual after pulling up the carpet -- replace the double-sided carpet tape. It works great.

I put a lot of strips of the tape in the footwell, so when passengers dig their heels in it doesn't pull the carpet up and bunch it up. It has stayed put nicely since I did that.

The RVator had an article a while back about sealing the back of the carpet with something (Don't remember what) then applying the tape for better adhesion. I'll try to dig the issue out.

Derrell
RV7A Finish

Floor Carpet

I cut a thin sheet of aluminum slightly undersize and used spray adhesive to attach soundproof foam to the bottom and carpet on the top. I have one setup for the pilots side and one on the passenger side with the center cover between (RV-9A). These can be removed easily but stay in place when passengers enter and exit.

Super Weatherstrip Adhesive

I constructed a partial sheet aluminum subfloor on each side to take the foot traffic load (vice the belly skin) and glued velcro on carpet and the aluminum. Several types of glue were tested with my carpet and velcro, and the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive worked the best.

dan said:
FYI, I'm at the hangar and I have the exact brand & type of tape that I used:

Manufacturer: Duck (Henkel)
Carpet Tape
Heavy Traffic
Indoor
Double sided adhesive - Tear resistant cloth

This is the stuff: http://www.duckproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=1&subid=7&plid=28

That's what we used at United! Duck brand it worked good if you think about it all those people coming in and out and the carpet stays stuck. At overhaul we would pull the tape up and put down new tape and new carpets also. The only way to go. in high wear areas we would overlap it and put it close together, you have to work to pull up

Last edited:
fireproof upholstery

I purchased some interior fabric and carpet for my -6A from an upholstery shop. My intent was to use spray on fire-resistance for added safety since the fabric isn't FAR approved. I found a 2002 article in EAA that recommended not using that stuff because it will cause severe corrosion as it vaporizes in the plane. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Am I okay in just using the fabric as is?

Back