What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to log data with G3X?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey guys- I have to confess, I have no idea how engine data logging works on a G3X. I've got a first engine start coming up soon and would like to capture that data from day 1, so I'm looking for some guidance.

I understand that I need 8gb sim card for software updates and I've got those on hand, but the G3X screens came out of the box with a data card already in the slots, so presumably step one is just to go into config mode and look for some setting like data logging or monitoring or whatever and make sure it's on. Have I got that about right?

Assuming that's correct, what do I need on the receiving end to actually be able to look at the data? The caveat is that we're a Mac family, and at this point I don't even own anything that runs windows, or even anything that has a USB port.

How do I get the data from the card to a laptop? What program do I need to actually look at it and track it, and what operating system do I need?

I'm not adverse to buying a laptop specifically for Garmin uploads/downloads, if thats what's required, but I'd like to only do it once, so and advice is appreciated.

... the G3X screens came out of the box with a data card already in the slots....

Are you sure what's in the slots are not simply plastic SD dummy blanks?

Data logging is indeed in the configuration settings. See attachment.

The files are saved as .csv and can be viewed in most spreadsheet programs.

For easier interpretation, create an account at Savvy Aviation. You can upload your data files for free and the information is graphically displayed.

Assuming your Apple computers have a USB-C port, you just need a simple SD card reader like this. If they have older Lightning ports, there are plenty of compatible card readers.

Data Log.jpg

Last edited:
I don't recall there being any settings. Just do a clean format on an SD card (it can be larger than 8GB--I run a 32GB) and plug it into the PFD before you turn anything on. It can be the same card as you use for updates, but I like to keep them separate so the data log card is always in the plane and the update card goes home with me to download updates. It should automatically create a CSV log file with all the data it has every time you turn on the PFD. It will also save screenshots (press and hold MENU for a few seconds, I believe).

I don't recall there being any settings. Just do a clean format on an SD card (it can be larger than 8GB--I run a 32GB) and plug it into the PFD before you turn anything on. It can be the same card as you use for updates, but I like to keep them separate so the data log card is always in the plane and the update card goes home with me to download updates. It should automatically create a CSV log file with all the data it has every time you turn on the PFD. It will also save screenshots (press and hold MENU for a few seconds, I believe).
I highly suggest you do NOT keep database or SW update cards in the G3X. Remove those when done then put the blank back in.

Back