What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you attach wing tie-down eyebolts?

CTCole

I don't understand how the wing tie-down eyebolts should attach on the RV-12iS. The threaded fitting riveted to the wing spar is set back from the lower wing skin by about 5/16", so an eyebolt (with or w/o stop nut) cannot be tightened to the fitting, without seriously deforming the skin. How have other folks handled this?

--Chris

I changed mine to stainless steel (prettier), used red loctite and tightened to the skin then backed off to align with the airstream.

It does not need to be "tightened down" or bottomed out in the threaded piece within the wing structure. Just thread the eye-bolt in until you are near the skin with the eye and stop. Just be sure to use an eye-bolt that is long enough to allow sufficient thread engagement into the threaded receiver.

Your tie down rope or chain will keep the bolt from turning (much), so it doesn't need to be tight. Just sufficient thread engagement. If you're not going to be removing it, use locktite.

Perhaps too late to suggest this, but I removed my original fittings and made new ones that were flush to the skin.

But I'm not flying yet.

Dave

Flush tie downs

Perhaps too late to suggest this, but I removed my original fittings and made new ones that were flush to the skin.

But I'm not flying yet.

Dave

Same here but there is a really slick work around.
Buy two hex recessed socket head screws. Apply locktite and screw them in the depth you want. I'm sure McMaster has what you need. Allow them to set up.
Now the tie downs will bottom out on the hex screw before hitting the skin.
Here ya go.
Hollow-Lock Set Screw

Last edited:
Also, you want to use forged eye bolts for strength. Do not use eye bolt where end is rolled into a loop...

I didn't catch this issue until the lower skins were riveted on. So I made up some spacers (ended up being about 0.06" thick) with a hole in the centre, that fill the gap. Epoxied to the skin in place, but you could also use a couple of rivets.

Alternatively, only install the two wing tie-down rings when you need them. Removing the abhorrent parasitic drag associated with the installed rings will increase your cruise airspeed by some Mach 0.001429. ;)

Same here but there is a really slick work around.
Buy two hex recessed socket head screws. Apply locktite and screw them in the depth you want. I'm sure McMaster has what you need. Allow them to set up.
Now the tie downs will bottom out on the hex screw before hitting the skin.
Here ya go.
Hollow-Lock Set Screw

Woah… that is slick. I’m going to have to borrow that one.

Alternatively, only install the two wing tie-down rings when you need them. Removing the abhorrent parasitic drag associated with the installed rings will increase your cruise airspeed by some Mach 0.001429. ;)

Or you could minimize the drag so you wouldn’t have to take them out by grinding the rear to reduce the pressure. A large rubber grommet fits perfectly in the tie down hole. Fill the grommet hole with shoe goo.

They look a bit like wheel pants and when you want to tie down, pop the grommet out.

Back