What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR20 remote trouble shooting help.

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
The little green light blinks, the active ( 122.750 ) and standby freq’s show on G3x. Bose A20 headset plugged into GA sockets. Handheld vhf 122.750 nearby . The hand held causes no response in Bose headset and the GTR20 causes no response in the handheld. Is there a COM troubleshooting for dummies checklist ?

The little green light blinks, the active ( 122.750 ) and standby freq’s show on G3x. Bose A20 headset plugged into GA sockets. Handheld vhf 122.750 nearby . The hand held causes no response in Bose headset and the GTR20 causes no response in the handheld. Is there a COM troubleshooting for dummies checklist ?
G3Xt IM pg 651, CAN-bus or RS232.
If RS232, format is important.

Good luck

Thanks Walt, connects on antenna and at the radio feel physically secure. How to test connection quality and continuity ? Apologies, I am a gearhead.

My rev AU does not have page numbers. How do find 651.
The software you are using to view the PDF file will give you the absolute page number. The 651st page of the G3X installation manual (revision AU) is labeled as page 30-166 in the document, and is the start of section 30.4.27.

Thanks Walt, connects on antenna and at the radio feel physically secure. How to test connection quality and continuity ? Apologies, I am a gearhead.
A simple ohm meter to test for continuity (end to end) and that the center is not shorted to the shield.

Also try another, non Bose headset. I've experienced issues with a Bose plugged into an older style receptical where a Light speed worked. Slight difference in plug geometry.

A simple ohm meter to test for continuity (end to end) and that the center is not shorted to the shield.
Walt,
The antenna cable has good continuity from radio to antenna. How do I determine :
Are the connections at the antenna and radio are good
Is the radio powering a signal out
Is the radio seeing a signal in from the hand held

The hand held not playing a transmission from the GTR20 points to PTT or radio if the antenna is functional. The handheld will play wx channel so it probably works.
Any help from others welcome also...Larry
PS, I have contacted the local HAM Radio organization to see if anyone with knowledge and test equipment would like to share their expertise.
I will also try a DC headset to eliminate the Bose as a cause.

Back