What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glue for Super Sound Proof

riobison

Well Known Member
In my new to me RV9A, it appears to be lined with the Supersound proof with Adhesive. Its coming unglued and I was wondering on what's the best to use to re glue this.

Or what not to use?

Thanks

Tim

If you have it on the firewall, remove it. Do a search on firewall installation on here, specifically post by Dan Horton.

Glue for sound proofing

No, its not on the fire wall. Its along the fuselage that's the problem.

Id hate to pick a glue that could come unglued again or worse yet, that could cause corrosion down the road.

Thanks

Tim

If you have it on the firewall, remove it. Do a search on firewall installation on here, specifically post by Dan Horton.

If it is NOT on the firewall, remove it! Do a search on firewall installation on here.

Seriously though, you should not have any “sound proof insulation” anywhere on the plane. You are using headsets right? If so, what benefit is that insulation doing for you? There is fire/smoke hazards associated with it, but also, it is weight added to the plane unnecessarily with little, perhaps arguably no, benefit.

If it is NOT on the firewall, remove it! Do a search on firewall installation on here.

Seriously though, you should not have any “sound proof insulation” anywhere on the plane. You are using headsets right? If so, what benefit is that insulation doing for you? There is fire/smoke hazards associated with it, but also, it is weight added to the plane unnecessarily with little, perhaps arguably no, benefit.

While I do agree about such material on the firewall, this seems a little over the top. The same fire hazard argument could be made for any installed carpet and seating materials in the plane, or for that matter, any polyester garments. I for one want a few creature comforts in my plane. And headphones or not, any sound deadening effect lessens noise and is therefore of benefit. Whether it’s cost effective and worth the weight penalty is up to the owner.

I think a bigger issue is corrosion.
I’ve seen a couple of absolute shockers. Almost write offs…
A lot of these trap moisture, right next to the skin.
I’d never glue anything to the skin, that’s just asking for trouble. Especially on floors.

I think a bigger issue is corrosion.
I’ve seen a couple of absolute shockers. Almost write offs…
A lot of these trap moisture, right next to the skin.
I’d never glue anything to the skin, that’s just asking for trouble. Especially on floors.

Does the adhesive on Velcro count?
Where the surfaces that corroded painted or bare aluminum?

Does the adhesive on Velcro count?
Where the surfaces that corroded painted or bare aluminum?

Adhesive is like paint and creates a barrier to prevent corrossion, at least generally speaking. It is the idea of putting a large, non permeable piece, like closed cell foam, over a large area. If that area gets wet, either from condensation or otherwise, the moisture has a hard time evaporating and therefore promotes corrossion. If that foam had 100% coverage of adhesive, then there is no real corrossion risk. Generally these panel just have spots of glue and the areas between them can trap moisture for LONG periods of time.

Last edited:
While I do agree about such material on the firewall, this seems a little over the top. The same fire hazard argument could be made for any installed carpet and seating materials in the plane, or for that matter, any polyester garments. I for one want a few creature comforts in my plane. And headphones or not, any sound deadening effect lessens noise and is therefore of benefit. Whether it’s cost effective and worth the weight penalty is up to the owner.

I also like creature comforts. I have leather seats, carpet, and some foam back panels in my interior. I accept the potential “dangers” of any of those materials because the pros out weigh the cons for those items. Sound proofing materials do not meet the same pro over con balance for me. My opinion only for sure. Your opinion obviously varies from mine. So build/fly on.

Foam and smoke

Wow, got me digging. Dug into mine and pulled off a piece and it didn't take much heat to make a lot of smoke. It didn't stay burning but the smoke is just as bad or worse.

Part of the fire wall has it on and I will remove it and clean the glue off while I'm waiting on new cylinders.

On the side panels I'll come back at least another 10" or so to the first bulk head from the fire wall as well.

The rest of it I will see as in Canada it may help in our winters.

No corrosion underneath the few places I looked. Probably being hangered in our desert has helped.

The stuff on the floor will also come out for something better to at least give some traction for getting out of the plane.

There must be a lot of RVs and other AC flying with this foam.

I'm assuming that this is the same stuff being put into these fancy finished interiors?

So, what is there to use that is safe or at least safer for finishing these aircraft for the side walls and the floor?

Sound proofing

I want to know if anyone has used soundproofing paint called Noxudol 3101

I did a lot of research and most pilots believe that buying Active noise cancellation headset is enough.

I flew Diamond DA 40 and was amazed at comfort in the cockpit, not only it was quiet but no vibrations felt at all

I am doing sound proofing with soundex insulator but was wanting to apply Noxudol 3101

Need info from someone who has done it

Thanks

Back