What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin adjustable pitot mount installation

RichF

Friend
Hello, I’m building a RV8 and plan on installing the Garmin adjustable pitot mount. I’m unable to find any examples of this installation on a vans wing and was hoping someone could refer me to a good resource showing how this was done. The Garmin adjustable mount is a two piece mount and isn’t riveted to the spar flange like many of the other mounts available. Garmin recommends it be mounted on an access panel, which I was planning on making one bay outboard of the aileron bellcrank. The additional access panel would be screwed to the wing spar flange with 3 #6 screws similar but smaller to the access panel right next to it. I haven’t cut any metal so I’m not committed this plan yet and would appreciate hearing about how others have done this installation. Thanks

Hello, I’m building a RV8 and plan on installing the Garmin adjustable pitot mount. I’m unable to find any examples of this installation on a vans wing and was hoping someone could refer me to a good resource showing how this was done. The Garmin adjustable mount is a two piece mount and isn’t riveted to the spar flange like many of the other mounts available. Garmin recommends it be mounted on an access panel, which I was planning on making one bay outboard of the aileron bellcrank. The additional access panel would be screwed to the wing spar flange with 3 #6 screws similar but smaller to the access panel right next to it. I haven’t cut any metal so I’m not committed this plan yet and would appreciate hearing about how others have done this installation. Thanks
Part No for the Garmin adjustable pitot mount ??

I mounted my pitot tube on the outboard access panel, the one shared with the aileron bellcrank, but I offset the mount further outboard. See attached pic.
I bent both aluminum tubes to point aft then angled them to point at a wing rib lightening hole. Then I made the connection to the red and blue 1/4" plastic tubes, looping them into the next outboard bay before running them thru the wing ribs into the cabin. Think of a giant service loop.
Stein sells the 1/4" to 3/16" union to connect the aluminum and plastic tubes.
Note, I did this on my -9A which has 3 access panels per wing.

Attachments

• PXL_20240112_173315829.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240112_173315829.MP.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 60
I mounted my pitot tube on the outboard access panel, the one shared with the aileron bellcrank, but I offset the mount further outboard. See attached pic. I bent both aluminum tubes to point aft then angled them to point at a wing rib lightening hole. Then I made the connection to the red and blue 1/4" plastic tubes, looping them into the next outboard bay before running them thru the wing ribs into the cabin. Think of a giant service loop. Stein sells the 1/4" to 3/16" union to connect the aluminum and plastic tubes. Note, I did this on my -9A which has 3 access panels per wing.

Back