What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAP-26-REG-20 / Garmin HEATED Pitot tube, with AOA Regulated Stein Air QUESTION

Ferdara

RV14A Build, received Garmin G3x Panel, IFR Nav, vertical power pro, etc complete built ready to install by SteinAir. Using a Garmin GAP-26-REG-20/Garmin HEATED Pitot tube, with AOA Regulated. I received the packed from Stein Air for the Pitot tube/wire kit. Included is the Red, Blue and White Tubing and Blue, Black and Red wires. Black wire will be routed from the ground near the panel to the Pitot, The Blue wire I found the connection in the bundle behind the panel for the Pitot regulated info. QUESTION: The Red "Power" wire is shorter. Does this go in the wing or does it go in the fuselage? On one end it has a Molex Male crimped and the other end is bare wire.

Last edited:
I installed one of these a couple of years ago using the Garmin mounting kit. You can ground the pitot heat out at the wing, and simply run a fused power wire to the power lead. Your Molex connector likley plugs into the Stein harness somewhere. Check your wiring prints. Regarding your pitot/AOA/Static lines, Normally clear is for static, green for airspeed and blue for AOA. I dont recall ever seeing red tubing. Does not matter as long as they are connected to the AHARS correctly. My guess is the blue wire is for a pitot heat "OFF" annunciator.

RV14A Build, received Garmin G3x Panel, IFR Nav, vertical power pro, etc complete built ready to install by SteinAir. Using a Garmin GAP-26-REG-20/Garmin HEATED Pitot tube, with AOA Regulated. I received the packed from Stein Air for the Pitot tube/wire kit. Included is the Red, Blue and White Tubing and Blue, Black and Red wires. Black wire will be routed from the ground near the panel to the Pitot, The Blue wire I found the connection in the bundle behind the panel for the Pitot regulated info. QUESTION: The Red "Power" wire is shorter. Does this go in the wing or does it go in the fuselage? On one end it has a Molex Male crimped and the other end is bare wire.
There is a power wire for the pitot heat wired into the WH-00125 harness. Van's has this terminated at the wing root connector. You will need to splice a 14AWG wire into the pitot power and run it to the wing root. There is only 1 open position on the wing side, so it's easy to tell where to put this. There is no ground wire included in the harness system, so i recommend you run a fresh wire back to your central ground point. If you ground the pitot hest at the wing you might have interference issues when you try to calibrate your mangnetometer.

You can also find more information on the WH-00125 harness diagram the vans has on their support downloads page, or shoot me a message and I can send you a copy on monday. I can also get you a wire with the appropriate pin on it if needed.

There is a power wire for the pitot heat wired into the WH-00125 harness. Van's has this terminated at the wing root connector. You will need to splice a 14AWG wire into the pitot power and run it to the wing root. There is only 1 open position on the wing side, so it's easy to tell where to put this. There is no ground wire included in the harness system, so i recommend you run a fresh wire back to your central ground point. If you ground the pitot hest at the wing you might have interference issues when you try to calibrate your mangnetometer.

You can also find more information on the WH-00125 harness diagram the vans has on their support downloads page, or shoot me a message and I can send you a copy on monday. I can also get you a wire with the appropriate pin on it if needed.
Thank you very much, I will run the red wire in the wing only, I do see the empty slot. Have a great weekend.

Thank you very much, I will run the red wire in the wing only, I do see the empty slot. Have a great weekend.
It might work fine with the WH-00125 stock harness but I was leery of running this near the GMU (If built per plans) so I ran a shielded twisted pair 14 awg to the wing root for the heated pitot tube and left the existing wire there for possible future use. GMU interference testing showed no issue, but I never tested it with the stock set-up.

Back