What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAD-27 Wig-Wag Switchology

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
I've got to finalize my panel switch layout and my brain is starting to hurt contemplating the options.

The light fixtures are two FlyLEDs Seven Stars units, one in each wing. These lights have separate power inputs to illuminate all seven LEDs in landing light mode or only the center LED in taxi light mode.

Wig-Wag will be controlled by the GAD-27, so there are G3X configuration options for speed control. I'm inclined to use a three position switch for the landing lights (OFF/Wig-Wag/Landing Light) and a separate switch for the Taxi Light.

But there is also the capability to have just a single switch (OFF/Taxi/Landing+Taxi) and let the GAD-27 speed-control handle wig-wag.

If using the latter, I believe wig-wag will function above the selected airspeed threshold, regardless of switch position (even with the switch Off)? If this is correct, I assume you can go into the menu and choose to have all of the lights Off, if there were some circumstance where you didn't want any illumination in flight?

I'm just trying to avoid wiring-in in a lack of functionality that I might not be aware of.

Speed sensitive wigwag will only drive the lights if the light switch(es) are on. If they are off the lights will be off regardless of speed. We opted to keep it simple and just have a pair of on/off switches for landing and taxi lights.

I've got to finalize my panel switch layout and my brain is starting to hurt contemplating the options.

The light fixtures are two FlyLEDs Seven Stars units, one in each wing. These lights have separate power inputs to illuminate all seven LEDs in landing light mode or only the center LED in taxi light mode.

Wig-Wag will be controlled by the GAD-27, so there are G3X configuration options for speed control. I'm inclined to use a three position switch for the landing lights (OFF/Wig-Wag/Landing Light) and a separate switch for the Taxi Light.

But there is also the capability to have just a single switch (OFF/Taxi/Landing+Taxi) and let the GAD-27 speed-control handle wig-wag.

If using the latter, I believe wig-wag will function above the selected airspeed threshold, regardless of switch position (even with the switch Off)? If this is correct, I assume you can go into the menu and choose to have all of the lights Off, if there were some circumstance where you didn't want any illumination in flight?

I'm just trying to avoid wiring-in in a lack of functionality that I might not be aware of.
I used your first method, mainly because I like to control what is ON or not and also I believe it will shut down during landing which falls off below the speed. I will mostly like it to be on during take OFF and landing.

....Wig-Wag will be controlled by the GAD-27, so there are G3X configuration options for speed control. I'm inclined to use a three position switch for the landing lights (OFF/Wig-Wag/Landing Light) and a separate switch for the Taxi Light.

But there is also the capability to have just a single switch (OFF/Taxi/Landing+Taxi) and let the GAD-27 speed-control handle wig-wag......
Regarding your stated "switchology", yes. A DPDT on-on-on will work. A single jumper (depending on your switch choice) will be required. This assumes I fully understand your question.

...A DPDT on-on-on will work...

Why would it be ON-ON-ON vs. OFF-ON-ON?

This assumes I fully understand your question.

I just want to make sure I'm not eliminating any functionality if electing to switch the lights one way vs. another. If choosing to have the Landing lights on a simple OFF-ON switch (and Taxi lights on a separate switch), it would seem the only option for wig-wag would be for automatic speed controlled activation. The same if choosing a single switch for OFF/Taxi/Landing+Taxi.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to choose between automatic or switched wig-wag and I want to be able to positively ensure all lights can be switched OFF in-flight when desired, regardless of airspeed.

Last edited:
Why would it be ON-ON-ON vs. OFF-ON-ON?

I just want to make sure I'm not eliminating any functionality if electing to switch the lights one way vs. another. If choosing to have the Landing lights on a simple OFF-ON switch (and Taxi lights on a separate switch), it would seem the only option for wig-wag would be for automatic speed controlled activation. The same if choosing a single switch for OFF/Taxi/Landing+Taxi.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to choose between automatic or switched wig-wag and I want to be able to positively ensure all lights can be switched OFF in-flight when desired, regardless of airspeed.
I like (and need) to save panel space whenever I can. The on-on-on is the Swiss Army knife of switches. Honeywell makes a quality one. Wire it as you need to get an off-on-(two pole) on.

Last edited:
I have a GAD27 with a 3 position switch configured to off- taxi - taxi/landing, the wig-wag function comes regardless of switch position but I believe you can configure the GAD27 to shut the wig-wag off when the lights are off. I found that wig-wag option flashes alternately between taxi and landing so you would have to wire taxi output from the GAD27 to one wing and landing output to the opposite wing for alternating flash. If you wire the taxi and landing lights separately - the wig-wag function will actually flash the lights all at the same time on and off. This is my experience anyway, hope it helps.

Funny that this came up just now. I've had my ship side wiring done for ages but just finished attaching everything in the wings this week.

My landing and taxi lights are controlled by two 3 position toggles.

switch 1
1- Off (down)
2- Landing on
3- Landing wigwag

switch 2
1- Off (down)
2- Taxi on
3- Taxi on plus strobe wigwag or strobe flood (depending on which version of the FlyLED controller board you have)

All of that is run through the GAD27 with the exception of position 3 on the taxi switch which also energizes pin 9 on the FlyLED board to get the extra strobe function.

I set up the landing lights like that because it's basically how they are set up in all the Cessnas I fly. Not really any strong feelings that it's better or worse than just having a simple on/off switch and letting the GAD27 do its wigwag thing without me intervening.

My reasoning for two switches is that I didn't want one wiring or switch fault to take out all my lighting. I can land just fine with no landing lights but it's a hassle to taxi that way.

Here's a gratuitous pic. of everything turned on for the ops check last night. Love those FlyLEDs!

Attachments

• IMG_9197.jpeg
    IMG_9197.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
I have a GAD27 with a 3 position switch configured to off- taxi - taxi/landing, the wig-wag function comes regardless of switch position but I believe you can configure the GAD27 to shut the wig-wag off when the lights are off. I found that wig-wag option flashes alternately between taxi and landing so you would have to wire taxi output from the GAD27 to one wing and landing output to the opposite wing for alternating flash. If you wire the taxi and landing lights separately - the wig-wag function will actually flash the lights all at the same time on and off. This is my experience anyway, hope it helps.
I did the same thing here but i also have a separate wig wag swith next to the 3 way off-taxi-taxi+land switch so i can manually activate the wig wag thru the gad 27

Speed sensitive wigwag will only drive the lights if the light switch(es) are on. If they are off the lights will be off regardless of speed

I have a GAD27 with a 3 position switch configured to off- taxi - taxi/landing, the wig-wag function comes regardless of switch position but I believe you can configure the GAD27 to shut the wig-wag off when the lights are off.

This is what I'm confused about. Does the GAD-27 speed controlled wig-wag override the "Off" position of the landing light switch?

Or is the answer "it depends," based on how it's configured?

Ultimately, even with the GAD-27 configured for speed controlled wig-wag, I want to be able to have the lights switched off in flight, if desired (including wig-wag).

You can absolutely and authoritatively turn off the lights via a switch. I don't' know if the GAD27 allows you to force wigwag vs full on via a switch, or only allow wigwag via speed senstive.

I set mine up so I manually turn on/off the wing wag. If you fly at night you will want the option to shut the wing wag off as they can be distracting.

In reading the excerpt below, it seems clear that with a wig-wag switch installed, Automatic Flashing enabled and Light Priority set to "Switch Off," the lights will remain off when the switch is selected OFF (regardless of airspeed).

What's still confusing is whether the lights will wig-wag automatically above the airspeed threshold regardless of whether the switch is selected to "Landing" or "Wig-wag" (assuming a three position switch), or will they remain steady when set to "Landing," even when above the "enable" airspeed threshold?

Flash.jpg

In reading the excerpt below, it seems clear that with a wig-wag switch installed, Automatic Flashing enabled and Light Priority set to "Switch Off," the lights will remain off when the switch is selected OFF (regardless of airspeed).
Yes, that's correct.

What's still confusing is whether the lights will wig-wag automatically above the airspeed threshold regardless of whether the switch is selected to "Landing" or "Wig-wag" (assuming a three position switch), or will they remain steady when set to "Landing," even when above the "enable" airspeed threshold?
If I correctly understand how you propose to wire and configure your installation, then your lights will flash when the switch is in the "Landing" position and the airspeed is above the threshold you configure (if you make use of the optional automatic flashing feature).

Last edited:
If I correctly understand how you propose to wire and configure your installation, then your lights will flash when the switch is in the "Landing" position and the airspeed is above the threshold you configure (if you make use of the optional automatic flashing feature).
I do not want auto wigwag.
If you fly at night you will want the option to shut the wing wag off as they can be distracting.

Is the "external lights" menu accessible in "normal" mode (in flight)? Or is it only accessible when in configuration mode?

I agree with TroyBranch, there are times I'd rather have the lights illuminated steady.

If the menu is only accessible while in configuration mode, I'll probably just choose to forgo using the auto mode.

I appreciate all of the replies!

Is the "external lights" menu accessible in "normal" mode (in flight)?
No, but if I understand your intended wiring and configuration and your desired behavior, you could simply turn your switch to the Off position if you find the flashing behavior distracting.

I personally would not use bother to use both the automatic flashing behavior and a "flash" switch position, since one or the other should be sufficient. But the system allows for a multitude of configurations and behaviors depending on user preference.

No, but if I understand your intended wiring and configuration and your desired behavior, you could simply turn your switch to the Off position if you find the flashing behavior distracting.

I personally would not use bother to use both the automatic flashing behavior and a "flash" switch position, since one or the other should be sufficient. But the system allows for a multitude of configurations and behaviors depending on user preference.

Moving the switch to the "Off" position would turn the lights off (with Light Priority set to "Switch Off"). I'd like to be able to have them steady illuminated, when desired (regardless of airspeed).

I'll probably just forgo the auto mode and control them with switch position.

Sounds like you can configure the auto feature to flash when the switch is off when the airspeed is above the set threshold, then turning the lights on will cancel the auto feature and illuminate solid at any airspeed. In that configuration you just cannot shut the lights off when above the airspeed threshold but you can make them illuminate solid by turning them on. Also if you want separate taxi lights controlled from the GAD27, you will not have the option of wig-wag but you will be able to have them flash on and off at the same time

Back