What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X CanBus question

QuixoteAg

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm working on my avionics planning and have some questions about CanBus and designing for future expansion....

Is it possible to build in future nodes in the canbus wiring? add a node or two and leave them unconnected?

canbus loops in and out so an open / unconnected node in the middle of the line won't work.
Garmin supply termination plugs for unused nodes.

This shows how .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiwlaF3tdOM

Not required, you would de-pin the last device on the bus and add more nodes.
Trying to guess what you might want to install in the future often leads to a lot of wasted time.

I'm working on my avionics planning and have some questions about CanBus and designing for future expansion....

Is it possible to build in future nodes in the canbus wiring? add a node or two and leave them unconnected?
Yes you can. Steinair did the original wiring harness on my partial avionics package I purchased from a forum member that was from an abandoned project. They had a unused future canbus tap that was simply a female 9-dsub connector the canbus wires went into, with a male dsub on the other end with jumper wires to complete the circuit. I added quite a few more things to the panel, and and other LRU's, and used that future canbus connector for the GTN650 I added. It just saved a little time because I did not have to tear into a wired LRU backshell to tap into the canbus and made adding that unit pretty straight forward.

It is possible to provision the wiring harness to add equipment in the future. For example, some plan to install a 2nd or 3rd display at a later date. It is perfectly fine to create the connector for that display and cap and stow it.

In general, if you want to add something to the bus in the future, you can always tap into the CAN bus between nodes to create a new node. Just follow standard best practices for good CAN wiring as outlined in the installation manual.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Back