What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying/Living near MKE

RWoodard

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I will soon have an opportunity at work for a promotion and significant pay increase if I'm willing to move to Milwaukee.

The long and short of it is that I have many reasons to stay in Colorado and only the possibility of earning more money luring me to Milwaukee.

Can any of you MKE-area locals tell me:

1. Are there any fly-in communities near MKE with reasonably-priced homes?

2. Is there a small airport near MKE with hangar space available? My ideal situation would be to find a big hangar with an apartment built-in. I'm single so I don't have to worry about what a wife would think of the arrangement! I realize this would probably be a bootleg deal because airports tend to frown on this sort of thing, but this would be my first choice.

I'll need to be within a 1hr 30 min drive to the MKE airport.

Thanks in advance for any intel you can provide.

Watertown

Check into RYV ... Watertown. I fly (rent) out of there, and they may be able to assist you in your search. Wisconsin Aviation is the FBO. I have found them to very personable and professional. Good luck.

Kenosha & Walworth Co.

Would this have anything to do with Frontier Airlines and the demise of Midwest Airlines?

The airport at Kenosha has a lot of big T-hangers and is friendly to GA. There are a lot of northern Illinois folks keeping their planes at Kenosha. Kenosha is about 35-min south of MKE and 1-hr north of ORD, on I-94.

For fly-in communities in Southeast WI there are Lake Geneva Aire Estates (paved and some properties have hangars and horses) and Air Troy Estates (grass). I know there are houses for sale in Lake Geneva.

Ron,

There are a large number of good GA airports within an hour or so of KMKE. There seem to be a lot more airparks in northern IL than in southern WI. However, most of those will be at the outer edge of the 1:30 drive to KMKE. Not sure what you consider "reasonable" as that means different things to different people. There is one house that was for sale at Air Troy Estates by a VAF member. Not sure if it has sold or not, but Roberta can chime in here.

Oh, and we also have a very active, homebuilder-focused EAA chapter here in Milwaukee. Being an hour away from Oshkosh is a big plus too!

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll start digging into the information provided within the next few days. I'm always receptive to additional information so if anyone else has anything to add, please feel free to do so.

Thanks again!

Wow.

That last link is incredible. I'm afraid it's a little out of my tax bracket, however. The most ideal situation for me would be a big hangar with an apartment built in. One stop shopping!

Thanks again for the replies!

Hangar for Sale, Kenosha, WI

I have an 80' X 80' heated hangar at KENW for sale. It is a great location with a southern exposure. It has a heated/airconditioned office with bathroom and shower. Refrigerator, cooktop, microwave, kitchen sink, kitchen cupboards and a closet. 60' X 15' hangar door, garage door, three personnel doors and a patio sliding glass door in the paneled office. Two work benches, a slop sink, large air compressor, three-phase power. It has a grey epoxy floor and storage in the loft above the office. I lived in it for 6 weeks trying to finish my RV7A before moving to NC.

Larry
[email protected]
336-877-5452

Larry Wins...

It was nice talking with you on the telephone this afternoon, Larry. Thanks for your time. As I said: I'm now kinda like the dog who chases cars and finally catches one. Now I need to figure out what to do!

I'll be in touch again soon.

Best regards,

Back