What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 Rocket awarded Grand Champion, AirVenture Winners

280FX

Congratulations to my friend Darryl Hudec for being awarded Grand Champion Kit Built for his F1 Rocket at AirVenture.

His beautiful wife Milanka pictured proudly holding the coveted “Gold Lindy” award.

Impeccable craftsmanship and stunningly beautiful! Way to go Darryl!

Attachments

• IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_3179.jpeg
    IMG_3179.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Congrats Darryl!

It is a spectacular airplane. Amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Also an awesome paint scheme and execution by the artists/craftsmen (and women) at Evoke.

I was just cruising down the path going past the Rocket booth when I stopped and did a double take when I saw this airplane. Beautiful machine and the paint really stood out as something different. Great to see he won the Lindy!

Hartzell

That prop is a standard Hartzell - only trick is that it is composite. Used on the 3 blade Cirrus series - I think with a different shaft to fit the F-1.

I can get ya one if you really have to have one! Nothing looks like 'em - that is for sure.

Osh 2023 winners

Here are the official results:
Airventure 2023 awards

Rocket winners, Minya and Darryl Hudec, Gold Lindy Grand Champion award kit built, with Bob Baker, Bronze Lindy Champions award kit built, and Vince Frazier.
Note: Vince didn't win anything and was only photo bombing their pic.

Minya-and-Darryl-Hudec-Bob-Baker-Vince-Frazier-scaled-e1690982518468.jpg

Darryl and Minya Hudec's F1 Rocket with an IO-540, Whirlwind prop, Garmin panel, Evoke paint, and more.

Darryl-Hudec-F1-scaled-e1690981982995.jpg

IMG_20230728_145330303_HDR-scaled-e1690981946313.jpg

Bob Baker's F1 Rocket with an IO-550, Hartzell composite prop, Garmin panel, and more. And Bob painted this one himself... wow!

IMG_20230730_090859170_HDR-scaled-e1690981969554.jpg

IMG_20230728_145355151_HDR-scaled-e1690981909211.jpg

That prop is a standard Hartzell - only trick is that it is composite. Used on the 3 blade Cirrus series - I think with a different shaft to fit the F-1.

I can get ya one if you really have to have one! Nothing looks like 'em - that is for sure.

So what are the prop options today for Rockets? What are the performance specs for them? Not knowing what is available I would lean towards something 2-blade; composite; from Hartzell. I have a Hartzell Trailblazer on my Husky and like it a lot.
Cheers!!!!

I'm a huge fan of the hartzell 3-blade composite, but that 2 blade composite looks fantastic! Also has the added benefit of getting the cowling off more easy.

I've got pictures of his FWF I can email to somebody who wants to post him. PM me your email address.

His buddy in the booth (with the red Rocket) said that he had machined all kinds of parts, including lightening the canopy rails. Sorry, don't have more info.

Here is a link to the 2023 Rocket Lindy winner photos.

2023 Rocket winners

The white plane was built by Darryl Hudec - Grand Champion Gold Lindy kit built.

The red plane was built by Bob Baker - Bronze Lindy kit built

Back