What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extreme frustration over lack of communications

jpkindred

I'm New Here
Apparently Van's has not watched the Kitplanes seminar on the RV LCP and Chapter 11 situation. Or maybe they only selectively listened to the parts where Van's was patted on the back for for the great testing they have done. They did not hear the part where they received a D- in their communications with the kit builders. I have been able to re-order my engine and my finish kit, but still have no clue about my LCP replacement parts or the "engineering solutions as an optional method of compliance." And when will they actually send my parts and kit?

I see very few emails being answered by Van's. And very few request for clarification are being answered in this forum. Some forum members ask us to have faith, trust Van's. It is becoming harder and harder to do so due to a huge lack of communication from Van's. Were they to have a weekly forum via Zoom or at least a weekly email addressing the current issues, our outlook would be more positive. The lack of communication makes me wonder whether Van's has the leadership to transition to the next level. It is the old Peter principle: People will rise to their level of incompetence. Have we risen to that level? I have no doubt that this entire evolution will damage their reputation as every time I talk to other aviators, they ask me how it is going and I have nothing to tell them. I just keep sliding.

I honestly cannot recommend that anyone buy a Van's kit in the near future. They need to earn my trust again. If they were communicating, I would most likely feel different. As much I do not like hearing bad news, I can at least accept it when someone tells me the straight scoop. I can make plans around it. Now I am just left in the dark as to when I am going to get my parts and engine. Six months? A year? 18 months? I do not know the factors behind all of the delays and how Van's is going to alleviate the delays.

I wait.

Apparently Van's has not watched the Kitplanes seminar on the RV LCP and Chapter 11 situation. Or maybe they only selectively listened to the parts where Van's was patted on the back for for the great testing they have done. They did not hear the part where they received a D- in their communications with the kit builders. I have been able to re-order my engine and my finish kit, but still have no clue about my LCP replacement parts or the "engineering solutions as an optional method of compliance." And when will they actually send my parts and kit?

I see very few emails being answered by Van's. And very few request for clarification are being answered in this forum. Some forum members ask us to have faith, trust Van's. It is becoming harder and harder to do so due to a huge lack of communication from Van's. Were they to have a weekly forum via Zoom or at least a weekly email addressing the current issues, our outlook would be more positive. The lack of communication makes me wonder whether Van's has the leadership to transition to the next level. It is the old Peter principle: People will rise to their level of incompetence. Have we risen to that level? I have no doubt that this entire evolution will damage their reputation as every time I talk to other aviators, they ask me how it is going and I have nothing to tell them. I just keep sliding.

I honestly cannot recommend that anyone buy a Van's kit in the near future. They need to earn my trust again. If they were communicating, I would most likely feel different. As much I do not like hearing bad news, I can at least accept it when someone tells me the straight scoop. I can make plans around it. Now I am just left in the dark as to when I am going to get my parts and engine. Six months? A year? 18 months? I do not know the factors behind all of the delays and how Van's is going to alleviate the delays.

I wait.
I share (maybe shared) your frustrations. The uncertainty can be soul crushing. The trouble is that Van’s has a TON of work to do and they don’t have all the answers we want. I got lucky in that my finish kit was past due, and I also got my re-order for it in within minutes of the notice, so I have some clarity on that. I have made the final payment for it. Since they are trying to ship replacements for LCPs with kits I then pretty quickly got my personal LCP list. I have to say that the folks at Van’s were AWESOME in answering my questions about the LCPs. Once your name comes up they will bend over backwards to help you figure out any questions. I had multiple e-mails answered within a few hours.

I know what my e-mail inbox looks like these days, I am betting that Van’s is an order of magnitude (at least) worse. I am betting that just answering those e-mails would be a full time job for several people. I.e. everyone wants to know and then can’t understand why they don’t answer the thousands of notes they get every week.

My engine on the other hand, I have no idea when…But based on my experience with the finish kit and replacement parts I quickly accepted the revised order. I am confident that they will do everything they can for customers. You have to remember that they don’t control production and are at the mercy of Lycoming, who has been by all accounts, bad at meeting schedules of late. I believe that Van’s and Lycoming are working to try and gain that clarity and to set a realistic schedule so people can know. But right now that is unknowable.

I know what my e-mail inbox looks like these days, I am betting that Van’s is an order of magnitude (at least) worse. I am betting that just answering those e-mails would be a full time job for several people. I.e. everyone wants to know and then can’t understand why they don’t answer the thousands of notes they get every week.

I think the part they are missing is that clear, consistent and concise information reduces your e-mail volume.

Oliver

Back