What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Help

rv8or

Well Known Member
We have just brought a 6 with an 0-360-A3A engine.
This engine does not have a spin on oil filter.
All of our experiences have been with engines with spin on oil filters.
We would like to know the following.
1. We want to give the engine an oil change, and at the same time clean the oil screens. Is it normal to remove these and clean them at an oil change.
Where are these screens situated, as we do not want to take any thing off we do not need to.
2. With this engine what spin on oil filter arrangement would fit within the confines of engine mount etc.

Any information would be appreciated, pictures would be great if anyone has these which would show where the screens are.

Thanks
Rob

Lycoming document

We have just brought a 6 with an 0-360-A3A engine.
This engine does not have a spin on oil filter.
All of our experiences have been with engines with spin on oil filters.
We would like to know the following.
1. We want to give the engine an oil change, and at the same time clean the oil screens. Is it normal to remove these and clean them at an oil change.
Where are these screens situated, as we do not want to take any thing off we do not need to.
2. With this engine what spin on oil filter arrangement would fit within the confines of engine mount etc.

Any information would be appreciated, pictures would be great if anyone has these which would show where the screens are.

Thanks
Rob

Rob... you need a copy of Lycoming Supplemental Service Publication "SSP 885 Engine Mounted Oil Filter Kits & Replacement Filters"

I notice you do not allow VAF members to see your e-mail address... update your profile and I'll e-mail you a copy...

I updated the O-360-A4K on my Tiger from a screen to a filter... it was relatively easy... and can even keep your engine in certified status - if it is already...

gil A

Rob,

There is also a finger screen in the back of the sump that should be checked as well. It's located right below the plane of the fuel pump mount, right in the center of the sump. The plug will require an annular crush gasket at re-install. They are inexpensive as aircraft parts go, so buy a half dozen at a time so you'll have one on hand.

Allen

Does anyone know the PN for the oil screen's crush gasket? I ran out of them, and have others that don't seem to be the right size... I have an 0-360Lyc. Thanks in advance... Sheldon Barrett RV6A.

Back