What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Hinge Brackets, 1 1/2 x 2 x .125

JonJay

Well Known Member
Check your stock. I found the angle to fabricate the brackets was not square. On the 2" side, it is off by about 1/32 or perhaps a little more. I did not worry about it and fabricated the brackets, but it does cause issues especially with the Center Flange bearning brackets not wanting to sit down flat on the rear spar. I did not want to proceed and bolt them on knowing that they would be under some stress as a result. Perhaps nothing, but I was not happy with it.
I ordered a new angle from Vans. They where very responsive and are checking their stock to insure the extrusion is square.

Elevator Hinge Brackets

Hi JonJay, thanks for the heads up. I checked my angle stock and found it was also not quite true, but much less in error than yours.

Once I had made up the brackets, but before reaming the hinge bolt hole, I clamped the two brackets of each pair together and then flatted of the bottom using my sander and then finished with 400 grit. I then measured the hole distance from this new bracket bottom surface, drilled and reamed the holes. It only took a tiny amount from the angle to make them absolutely square, not enough to make any difference to the strength.

Like you, I am really enjoying building the 3.

Back