What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview ADSB anomaly

redhawk

Well Known Member
I have a dual-Skyview system in my 3B. I’m not sure that my Dynon ADSB is working properly. On taxi out I can see all the ADSB traffic, but once airborne almost all targets disappear - even ones that are in my close proximity.
I’m still learning this system (as I don’t fly regularly enough !), but it doesn’t seem to be displaying targets.
Looking for others who may have experienced this and what the solution might be?
Cheers

Skyview ADSB

I can do that, but doesn’t that just show my ADSB-Out performance? (Which seems to work fine according to ATC).

I can do that, but doesn’t that just show my ADSB-Out performance? (Which seems to work fine according to ATC).

Believe it or not, ATC isn’t the best source to tell you whether your ADS-B is working properly or not. The performance report is far more detailed.

Traffic displayed via ADS-B in indirectly is impacted by your ADS-B OUT.

I just got the report, but it’s a mystery how to attach it to this…

Reply to this message, and click “manage attachments” below the message window.

Or, at least tell us if anything was red? If so, what?

Kinda curious about this one. But, gotta ask some questions:

What kind of transponder do you have?

What ADS-B receiver do you have? (SV-ADSB-470 or -472, or something else?)

What kind of antenna do you have for the ADS-B receiver? Where is the antenna located on the aircraft and what coax did you use (RG58, RG400, or...)? And, is the coax for both the transponder and ADS-B receiver routed together in the same bundle?

Thanks for the report. It looks perfect. So faulty ADS-B out is not causing your aircraft to not be sent any traffic targets…

Dynon ADSB-in communicates with the display via serial connection. I would check two things:
1. check if proper model number has been configured, it should be either ADSB 470 or 472 based on the model you have.
2. check the communication status (Rx count, error count, etc.) and see if there is anything that is obviously different on the ground and airborne.

No 1090 Mhz ADS-B In Receiver?

Redhawk,

Do you really just have a single frequency (978 Mhz) ADS-B receiver that is incapable of receiving air-to-air transmissions from aircraft like yourself transmitting on 1090 Mhz?

According to your ADS-B out report, you are deaf to 1090 Mhz and only receive on 978 Mhz (UAT).

To make this worse, you are not being provided TIS-B services, so the ground stations will not provide you with ADS-R re-transmission of the 1090 aircraft on 978 Mhz, so you will miss all of these aircraft which are the majority of flying aircraft.

UAT In Only.png

Steve

ADSB

Yikes I didn’t realize that! I’ve got a message to Dynon to look at this !
Thanks for heads up Steve

Yikes I didn’t realize that! I’ve got a message to Dynon to look at this !
Thanks for heads up Steve

That's why I was asking questions. Although with UAT receive capability you would get some traffic sometimes.

But, also problems can be caused by improper configuration settings in Skyview, antenna blanking, or transponder interference that can happen in a couple of different ways.

Skyview ADSB-in problem

Dynon support got back to me, and he suggested turning of TIS TRAFFIC in the Skyview transponder setting.
It worked! I did this and now I am seeing all the traffic displays. He said this is a frequent issue in busy class B areas…

I have a dual-Skyview system in my 3B. I’m not sure that my Dynon ADSB is working properly. On taxi out I can see all the ADSB traffic, but once airborne almost all targets disappear - even ones that are in my close proximity.
I’m still learning this system (as I don’t fly regularly enough !), but it doesn’t seem to be displaying targets.
Looking for others who may have experienced this and what the solution might be?
Cheers

See my post here, probably fix your problem

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=215960

Back