What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Covering Windows

ColoradoSolar

Well Known Member
I see a lot of pictures that show blue painters tape on the windows after they are installed to protect them. Isn't the tape hard to remove if it has been left on for any length of time. What are the options out there for protecting the windows once they are installed. I am going to have to remove the protective film from my main window to polish out some rash that happened in shipping so that window, at least, won't have the protective film on it anymore.

Get some “crash tape” or “collision wrap” to cover the canopy during the build. Crash tape is used by body shops when they pick up a wrecked car on the road and need to transport it to their body shop to prevent windshields and other glass from falling off the vehicle in pieces. I got some online for my canopy on Amazon. Mine was about 18” wide I think. It sticks to the plexi, but doesn’t leave residue. I suspect it is what is on your canopy bubble when you get it in your kit from Vans/Airplane Plastics.

McMaster has surface protection film (4433T12) for about $1/foot for 12" wide. I used it when I needed to replace the film on my windshield. It behaves just like the film I removed.

Back