What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connect G175 and GDL 52R simo to Aera 660?

flytoday

Well Known Member
Seems both Garmin 175 GPS and GDL 52R use Bluetooth to connect to the Aera 660 GPS.

Problem is the Aera 660 will only allow one Bluetooth connection at a time.

I’d like to simultaneously connect the 660 to the 175 to share flight plans and connect the 52R to the 660 for traffic, weather, the typical ADSB data inputs.

Is there some sort of Bluetooth hub or device that can connect two devices and merge their data, and share their data with a third device?

Will the 660 accept and properly process data from a single device that has merged the 52R and 175 data?

Or is the only option swapping Bluetooth connections while in flight?

Thanks!

Carl

Seems both Garmin 175 GPS and GDL 52R use Bluetooth to connect to the Aera 660 GPS.

Problem is the Aera 660 will only allow one Bluetooth connection at a time.

I’d like to simultaneously connect the 660 to the 175 to share flight plans and connect the 52R to the 660 for traffic, weather, the typical ADSB data inputs.

Is there some sort of Bluetooth hub or device that can connect two devices and merge their data, and share their data with a third device?

Will the 660 accept and properly process data from a single device that has merged the 52R and 175 data?

Or is the only option swapping Bluetooth connections while in flight?

Thanks!

Carl

Carl,

Have you considered using an RS-232 connection from the Aera 660/760 to the GDL 52R?

That is what I have used for years and it is of course far superior and more reliable than Bluetooth for traffic and weather.

I never use wireless in my plane if there is an option for hardwire. The GDL 52R has RS-232 connections for up to two external displays.

Steve

Thx

Thank you Steve. I didn’t wire up the avionics so I’m not sure if wiring the RS-232 between devices is practical in my plane. I’ll investigate that option.

I agree, when sharing data, hardwire is preferred to RF links like Wifi and Bluetooth. So far in my 7A the wireless systems have provided steady connections, and have been within my ability to configure and operate. So I was hoping….

I’ll also keep listening on VAF for a Bluetooth suggestion.

Thanks again,

Carl

Aera Serial Connection

Thank you Steve. I didn’t wire up the avionics so I’m not sure if wiring the RS-232 between devices is practical in my plane. I’ll investigate that option.

I agree, when sharing data, hardwire is preferred to RF links like Wifi and Bluetooth. So far in my 7A the wireless systems have provided steady connections, and have been within my ability to configure and operate. So I was hoping….

I’ll also keep listening on VAF for a Bluetooth suggestion.

Thanks again,

Carl

Carl,

Please reach out to us at [email protected]. We would be happy to help get you pointed in the right direction for wiring your Aera 660 to the GDL 52R, if you decide that is what you would like to do. We are available for questions and guidance along the way.

Thanks,

Justin

660 data Fixed, GDL50R wired up and 175 using BT, thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

My GDL is a 50R and now successfully wired to the Aera 660’s Serial Port 1, with Connext 57600 baud protocol sharing the typical ADSB-In data. Flight plan sharing is working as the Garmin 175 connects to the 660 by Bluetooth. Also my iPad with ForeFlight gets flight plan data from the 175, since the 175 can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices.

The VFR-only Aera 660 will allow loading of “partial” IFR approaches, with only lateral guidance, mapped from the FAF to Runway. So when the 175 activates an RNAV approach interesting things happen on the 660. When an approach is selected on the 660 first the 175 also does some things.

Satisfied with the equipment. Still learning what to expect.

Carl

So when the 175 activates an RNAV approach interesting things happen on the 660.

Carl,

Even more interesting things will happen on the Aera 660/760 if you wire a MapMX RS-232 interface from the GPS 175, GNC 355, or GNX 375 to one of the RS-232 ports on the Aera 660/760.

The Aera 660 and Aera 760 can do something that no other portable or tablet in the world can do, which is listen to the MapMX RS-232 output from a Garmin navigator and display an accurate curved flight path for routes, SIDs, STARs, instrument approaches, and missed approaches - just as they are shown on the IFR navigator.

These curved path depictions even include dynamically adjusted procedure turns and holding patterns as shown on the navigator.

Steve

Aera660_760 with GNX375.png

Thx Steve

That’s very interesting. My two 660 Serial Ports wired to the GDL 50 and a G5. So I’m out of Serial Ports, and the 175 is sharing data to the 660 via Bluetooth. It would be great to have the 660 showing an entire RNAV approach path (lateral guidance) and increase the usefulness of the G5 CDI.

I started the thread wishing for more 660 Bluetooth connections, now I’m wishing for a third 660 Serial Port.

Thanks Steve for the information.

Carl

Back