What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comm Cord Breakaway...

Now to start this off, this did not happen to me. This was a story my dad told me when i was a kid and for whatever reason, it stuck with me throughout the years and Ive had a sort of complex about comm-chords ever since.

Back in the late 60's/early 70's my dad was a search pilot with the Civil Air Patrol out of Ventura Ca (Sqdn 61) and had a 1941 Fairchild UC-61 Forwarder ( F-24G) N46614. One day while flying near Santa Maria CA, He made a left turn and glanced behind him and noticed he was trailing smoke so he called out an in-flight emergency and was given clearance to land any runway at santa maria. unknown to him, they had just layed a new runway across the old one he was familiar with and hadnt yet smoothed out where the two intersected and he was landing on the old runway that now had a 6" "curb" right across it. long story short, when he hit the curb, his left gear collapsed and he skid to a halt near the left edge of the runway. Thinking that his plane was on fire, he got out and ran for it. He was wearing a GEN-TEX helmet and failed to disconnect the chord from his radio so he made it a few feet away from the plane before he ended up on his back. He told me it about broke his neck and went to say that if i ever became a pilot, always make sure my comm-chord could easily be disconnected or break-away in case of an emergency.

I always laughed when he told me this story and a few yrs back while serving overseas in the army, i caught myself checking the radio headset i wore in my turret to see if it would pull apart easily, and had a good chuckle about it. Not sure if this story has any relevance to anything here but it was plane related and had a safety overtone to it i suppose:cool:

I was doing a full power engine run up on a C130 with all 4 engines after a hydraulic problem on number 1 was fixed on xmas eve 1971. I had engine #'s 1 & 4 full military power and the inboards in full reverse when #1 turbine section disintegrates. and we had fire coming out the tail pipe, well my ground man/fireman, by the way, was my hyd man who fixed the problem, takes off running towards KING hanger still attached to the C130. He didn?t get too far before the cable strapping his headset to his head, went taunt. As he was screaming to me ?YOUR ON FIR? he stood up, ripped it off his head and kept running. Alarms were going off in the cockpit but I couldn?t stop laughing at my ground man. We got the fire out and saved the 130. We had a new engine installed and back home for xmas breakfast! That was a strong cord!

Back in the '70s during my Navy flying days in the back of an E2A, I would get up once or twice during each flight, go forward and check on the "stuff" and see if anything was spewing fluids or vapor. This required rotating the seat, detaching the harness, and disconnecting the helmet headset cables.

On occasion, I would forget the headset cables and the cables would stretch to their 10ft uncoiled length before they would pop free from my helmet connectors and slingshot back and hit the guy in the second seat in the head. Good thing he was wearing his helmet.

Hoping I never need it....

Frank at Gibson-Barnes.com, when helping me get this built, suggested a single point breakaway connector that they offer. Grab from video below. Hope I never need to use it. :)

f5ds01.jpg

It would be neat if someone came up with a standard connector like the MagSafe power connector they use on Mac laptops these days... Pretty much a flush connector with rare earth magnets holding it together.

It would be neat if someone came up with a standard connector like the MagSafe power connector they use on Mac laptops these days... Pretty much a flush connector with rare earth magnets holding it together.

Most aviation helmets that I've seen (used by cropduster pilots) use something like a U174/u 4-conductor plug and jack inline with a short pigtail cable coming out of the helmet for quick disconnecting.

Spruce sells the plugs and jacks, but they ain't cheap.
11-09335.jpg

The page for the jacks says they even have a 5-conductor version too.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/fourphonejack.php

cutter

On the Scottish Aviation Bulldog (RAF trainer) that I owned there were cord cutters. The wire passed though a v shaped knife. Not sure how effective it was as I never tried it.

Nigel

Back