What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Civilian Fly-In: Sheppard AFB (KSPS) 1 Jun 2013

Flying again!

Well Known Member
There will be a Fly-In at Sheppard AFB Saturday 1 Jun 2013. Info is in the link below.

There will be burgers, Sim rides, T-6 and T-38 static displays and the chance to T/O and Land on 13,000'. Landmark Aviation discount of 40 cents for the Fly-in ($5.83-.40 = $5.43), but still more than Wichita Valley ($4.79)

Free parking on the Military Ramp if you turn in Form 2402 by 24 May (see 2nd link below)

Fly-in with flight plan from 9-11am and fly out (no flight plan required) from 2-3 pm.

http://www.sheppard.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-130503-025.pdf

http://www.sheppard.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-130503-026.pdf

WOW!!!!!
I wish MCAS Beaufort would have done something like that. See what happens when you get creative?
Tom

Wish my RV-10 was flying..... I would love to attend this event. My son is currently flying T-38s there at the moment. I am trying my best, to get through Phase I in July so that I can fly down for graduation.

Reminder

Just a reminder that the Form 2402 is due 24 May if you plan to fly in and park on the military ramp.....

Just got my PPR Number to allow me to land and taxi to the military ramp. Hope the weather holds up Saturday.

Curious as to how many RV's are planning on attending....

Thanks Sheppard!!!

The weather was not perfect but VFR and very flyable. I would suspect the weather may have had some affect on the attendance, but there were several folks who flew in and a few who drove in.

If you did not go, man, you missed out.
Great folks putting this on. Good food. Good rundown on MOAs and how to safely fly near them. Good reminders of safety. These safety officers are living encyclopedias for aircraft accidents, what went wrong, and possibilities to avoid the same mistake.

I would say the highlight for me was flying the sims. Had a great time flying the T-38 and T-6 sims. Did several rolls and loops. 720 deg per sec is fast! :) I am not acro competent, but having the Air Force instructors there, and talking me through it, made me much better very fast.

The tower and radar room tour was great. These guys and gals are true professionals. Even worked us in for approach when a passenger jet had to do an emergency landing. They made it seem effortless, but were very humble when we talked about it in the tower. I understand a lot more about what goes on in the controllers world. Great job!

This was a great experience and I will take every opportunity to do it again. Where else can a grown man get to play with toys like this and learn so much in one day? These were tax dollars well spent :)

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. I went to tech. school there back in '85, that would be interesting to see, but is just a bit too far for me to go. Glad to hear that folks enjoyed it.

Wow, sorry I missed this one! Please post these things on the calender so I don't have to rely on my memory :cool:

My Bad.....

Wow, sorry I missed this one! Please post these things on the calender so I don't have to rely on my memory :cool:

Hi Walt,

The Fly-in is once a year and seems to be the first weekend in June. I did not think of posting it on the Calender (and did not know how too until today:)). I will make sure it gets posted next year!

It was a great time -- will post some pics nice I get my camera from my hanger.

The IPs were great! I had my 17 year old son and 2 of his 17 year old friends with me. Toward the end of the day they put the 4 of us in 4 separate 360 degree T-38 visual sims and linked them so we could fly formation, try and get a good gun tracking solution on each other, get within AIM-9 parameters etc.

The boys did great and the rust fell of me too (27 years since I last flew a T-38!). The also set it up so the boys could rat race through the Grand Canyon (once they learned 500 KIAS is too fast for tight turns! :)). I was very impressed with the clarity of the visuals in the sim and how well the boys did on their first try at formation flying! Unfortunately the boys will never be satisfied with Xbox or Flight Sim again!

I'll post some pictures later today ----TJ

Pics of the Fly-in

Had a cold front between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls....strong winds and low ceilings as we flew through the front.

The boys having a good time on the way to Sheppard AFB!

FInding some gaps in the rain...almost through the Front....

Tied down securly after landing in quartering 25 gusting to 32 knot winds...first to arrive!

A total of 5 planes flew in including a very nice grey Navion...they were expecting 20-30 but the weather kept a lot away and a number of folks drove in.

The burgers and the presentations were in the Phase hanger for the T-6s.

Rows of T-6s followed by rows of T-38s. This is the 2nd busiest base in the USAF, I think about 55,000 sorties per year!

The boys in front of a T-6....1100 hp!

They loved the T-38C. It is almost like a new plane compared to the T-38A I last fles in 1986. Hard to believe the last one built was in 1972!

My son flying the T-38 partial visual sim rolling into the grand canyon. Later they put us in the full 360 degree sims and linked us so we could fly a 4 ship tactical formation which quickly developed into a dog fight!

To be continued....

All good things must end...just off the horizontal stab you can see the 3 parallel runways at Sheppard with the 13,000ft runway easy to pick out.

It was a great day and we will be sure to go again next year!!

2015 Sheppard AFB (KSPS) Civilian Fly-in 9 May

I will post this and the links in the Calendar too.

The Fly-in at Sheppard AFB for 2015 is on 9 May with fly-in window starting at 0900. This is a great opportunity to land on a 13,000' runway, see the T-6 and T-38 training a/c, and fly them in the Sims. There is even free food and drink at the Burger Barn! They also give a good briefing of their operations and how important it is to always have your transponder on so they can see you as they fly in their low altitude routes and in the MOAs.

It is a great opportunity to see the largest USAF pilot training base and talk to the instructors. Their hospitality has been great and they appreciate seeing RVs!

Forms are due at their safety office by 1 May -- more info will be in the calendar.

Hope to see you there!

TJ

I wish I had a good reason to go and it was closer to me. My son graduated from there a couple years ago. They were always hospitable. It would be a great experience if you can make it.

Back