What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chelton to Trutrack Sorcerer, what sends the course, RS232 or Arinc?

RVflyernew

I'm New Here
I have a Chelton setup and also a Garmin G530 feeding a Sorcerer Autopilot. Everything works fine except IFR approaches during which the auto pilot will follow the course to the Initial approach point and then go off course. I have traced the wiring and it appears only the ARINC is feeding the Sorcerer. Is this wired wrong?

Many thanks.

The ARINC provides the steering information and the rs-232 provides waypoint info. Are you sure the approach is sequencing properly? But yes, the Sorcerer needs the rs-232 signal as well.

The ARINC provides the steering information and the rs-232 provides waypoint info. Are you sure the approach is sequencing properly? But yes, the Sorcerer needs the rs-232 signal as well.
Thanks for the replay. I can put an airport or other waypoint into either the Chelton or 530 and put the Sorcerer into GPSS mode and everything is fine. There is a switch on the panel to change between the Chelton and Garmin units. This seems to work fine. However setting up a standard instrument approach on either unit seems fine to the initial fix point, then the plane will turn to what seems a totally random direction and I have to hand fly the approach. The shop which did the install closed up before I bought the plane from the original builder and all the wiring diagrams went to some dump (sad!). I recently had to pull on of the Cheltons to clean the contacts from the internal hard drive so I used the opportunity to use an ohm meter to trace some of the wiring. Both the Chelton and Garmin have the ARINC 429 lines going straight to the Sorcerer, but neither the Chelton or Garmin units seem to have their RS232 lines going to the Sorcerer. The RS232 pins are connected to something on both units, but do not seem to go to the autopilot. I can't figure out what the panel switch for selecting the Chelton vs the Garmin units is actual switching. I seem to remember that on an instrument approach something changes to get tighter navigation...

Many thanks for any ideas!

Don

The sorcerer needs the rs 232 signal, so you need to trace that down. Look at the back of that switch and see how many signals it is switching. Perhaps a wire has broken off.

The sorcerer needs the rs 232 signal, so you need to trace that down. Look at the back of that switch and see how many signals it is switching. Perhaps a wire has broken off.
Late reply and you have likely solved the problem by now, but one heads up: In switching between my GNC355 and Cheltons you must release lateral steering on the a/p, thus going into track mode prior to making the switch from or to the Cheltons. You then put a/p back to LS/VS. Realizing assumptions can be dangerous: I am assuming that is true on the Sorcerer as well as my Digiflight II VSGV. I'd be curious if/how you have solved.

Also may not be relevant but on the TruTrak Vizion 385 you have to be in altitude hold or zero vertical speed at the IAF for the A/P to ARM.

Back