What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CamLoc group buy redux

Guy there is no way one will go un-noticed in the unlocked position. It would be floppin and hangin all out in the open at you. Since these are adjustable, you would have to orient each one the same way and adjust the barrel exactly the same on every one to benefit from all the screwdriver slots lining up. I honestly dont think you could adjust them all the same and obtain a perfectly smooth surface on the head and washer.

-Jeff

tomcostanza said:
Thanks Jeremy. Your level of competence and customer service has not gone unnoticed on this site.

I have counted twice and the following have expressed interest:
I have contact info for:
JoeG
Mark Schmitz
Radomir
GSuit
GuyPrevost
GBataller
DPansier
TinMan
ToddA
DavCor
SmithHB
DrakeRV
PCzar3

The following have expressed interest, but I don't have contact info:
RV505
Captain John
Wicked Stick
JcMcDowell
SVanArts
VPatton
Ronoc74
DarylT
Wayne
RexN41681
FlyBill7
CTBecker
WiseGuy
GRJTucson
MTBehnke
MarkSchmitz

With myself, we have an even 30. If everyone follows through, we should qualify for a 30% discount. This seems like a win-win situation. If anyone else wants to send me contact info, I'll forward it to Jeremy.

Hope it isn't too early to wish everyone a great holiday.

Tom... just sent you an email!

:) CJ

RV_7A said:
Guy there is no way one will go un-noticed in the unlocked position. It would be floppin and hangin all out in the open at you. Since these are adjustable, you would have to orient each one the same way and adjust the barrel exactly the same on every one to benefit from all the screwdriver slots lining up. I honestly dont think you could adjust them all the same and obtain a perfectly smooth surface on the head and washer.

-Jeff

Cool. Thanks Jeff! :)

Before I commit, I need more information on Camlocks. Is there a Web site somewhere that has some details on what they are, the pros vs. cons and the step-by-step installation documented?

Yes please

Hi Tom,

I am also interested ... I have sent you a PM with my e-mail contact here in Germany.

Thanks

It's a deal

OK guys. Jeremy at MilSpec has the list. You can call your orders in now. We should qualify for the max 30% discount. He said the discount would be good for anyone who calls and mentions the VAF group buy, until 1/30/07.

http://www.MilSpecProducts.com
(352)-735-0065

He mentioned he was thinking of offering a stainless receptacle in addition to an aluminum one. I thought the durability of stainless would offset the increased weight and asked him to ship me that option if it was available, so you might think about that.

Regards,

Blind Leading the Blind

Bob Collins said:
I'm still hunting around here. What's the difference between a "firewall kit", a "side kit" and a "complete kit"?

Bob,

I'm in much the same boat as you trying to understand and compare differences and see pros and cons. That said, as I understand it:
- The firewall kit is just enough fasteners to fasten the upper and lower cowls to the firewall.
- The side kit is enough to fasten them to each other.
- The complete kit is both sets.
I am currently planning on the firewall kit only as the side is as easily, and perhaps as or more elegantly, handled with hinges and pins.

Others, please help me out if I am mistaken.

George

Cripple leading the Blind ;)

The firewall kit is camlocks to go around the entire parameter of the firewall, therefore you would use hinge material along the sides that run horizontal (fore and aft). You will obviously use the hinge rod that installs from the front (or rear if you want to go to the trouble) just as you would per the plans.

The side kit? I hadn't heard of one.

The complete kit is just that. Camlocks for everywhere.

I used the firewall kit and this is how it looks. I would recommend this kit as opposed to the complete kit due to the fact that the hinge material along the sides does hold the top and bottom positively aligned. This helps allow the camlocks around the firewall hold the cowling aligned a bit better. After installing a few of my first camlocks is when I noticed how much they do actually float. I was able to move my cowling all around and this concerned me. But after installing all of them and the hinge pin, then the assembly had much less play. I hope this helps.

-Jeff

COWLING%20153.jpg

With only a few camlocks...
COWLING%20132.jpg

COWLING%20133.jpg

But after all were installed this play was much less.

Last edited:
Jeff makes an interesting point.

When used around the firewall the MS245 floating, depth-adjustable receptacle should allow the cowl to move around...which doesn't seem like a great idea. Floating is floating. The installation my well have less play when all the studs are in place, but I suspect that is only because of variation in perfect on-center grommet hole alignment with the center of the floating receptacle frame. In other words, a few of the receptacles are at their float limits. You gotta wonder what time and wear will do.

Seems like a firewall perimeter should use an adjustable-depth fixed receptacle like the MS 231 for the 2600 and 2700 series. I don't see any adjustable depth fixed receptacles for 4000 series on the Milspec site.

Anybody have any thoughts here?

tomcostanza said:
OK guys. Jeremy at MilSpec has the list. You can call your orders in now. We should qualify for the max 30% discount. He said the discount would be good for anyone who calls and mentions the VAF group buy, until 1/30/07.

(352)-735-0065

He mentioned he was thinking of offering a stainless receptacle in addition to an aluminum one. I thought the durability of stainless would offset the increased weight and asked him to ship me that option if it was available, so you might think about that.

Regards,

Sounds like you can call him direct and get the discount.

There are no camlocks that I know of that hold position like say a screw would. The stud and spring will always tilt slightly even with a fixed receptacle and allow some small amount of movement. I think at 200mph, most cowlings are going to be pushed back against the firewall/skin. This also is something to take into consideration when final sanding the aft edge of the cowling. Leaving a slight gap here may be desirable.

-Jeff

Just called Jeremy at MilSpec. What a nice guy. I feel really good about doing business with people like that. He patiently answered my stupid questions.

Here's a tip. If you want even more savings, here's how to get Google to pick up the tab for your long-distance call to MilSpec.

Click on this link: Google Maps Search for MilSpec
On the left side you'll see MilSpec Products in Sorrento Fl. Click on the the word Call next to their phone number. A box will pop up asking for your phone number. Your phone will ring, and then you will be connected to MilSpec.

If you're worried about big brother you can read their Disclaimer

What's Everybody Doing?

Now that the "list" is in, and everybody has entered their comments/experiences, what is everybody ordering for the group Camloc buy from MilSpec? Slotted or Phillips? Firewall only or full kit?

Philips, full kit

edit: well, maybe firewall kit and side kit together.. apparently you'd get 2 more fasteners and together (at list price) cost about a dollar less than "full kit" :)

Last edited:
Camloc Follow up

I called in on Monday and spoke to Jeremy. I'll second the comment about what a great guy he is to deal with. I ordered the full kit. Thanks again for coordinating the buy! :)

pczar3
Paul Czarapata
-6A
N694BP reserved

Camlocks, Please add my Name.

tomcostanza said:

(352)-735-0065

Regards,

Tom,
Please add my name to list. I shall contact Jeremy directly.
I am interested in the Stainless version as I don't see the weight difference as being a mojor factor.
Regards
Ray Jarvis.

Yet another

Count me in also.

Couple of questions:

1) How many fasteners are we getting and what spacing along the cowl will that support. From prior posts I see that builders like to opt for 3.5" spacing to avoid any puckering.

2) Are special tools necessary for installation? If so which ones?

Jason Rouault
http://www.rvbuild.com

Jason,
There are 3 kits to choose from depending on what you want. The full kit for the 7A contains 52 fasteners for the cowl plus we include 2 wing head fasteners for the oil access door. The firewall only kit contains 30 fasteners and the side only kit contains 24. Recommended spacing is 3 ? 4 inches. Two tools are required for installation. The 4P3 C-lock pliers (similar to cleko pliers) depress the stud assembly so that it can be installed in the grommet. The T26 snap ring tool installs the retaining ring on the back side of the grommet. Let me know if you need more info.

Best regards,
Jeremy
MilSpec Products

Back