What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builder Site Template

N814P

I am not a web developer, and am looking for a "template site" that I can put up for my build. I purchased Kitlog Pro, but was looking for something a little nicer. I already have the domain name and hosting set up - I just need an empty site that I can start uploading photos and text to.

Any ideas? I know I can just contract out to have one built, but I was looking for a less expensive and easier solution.

Thanks in advance!

Sharing or documentation?

Just curious - as I have been considering how to document my build once I get started. Are folks setting up web sites or blogs for documentation... or are these mostly for sharing? My concern is having something stored remotely on some-body's server - subject to the IT gods. How do you back up a web site? Maybe I should check with my kids!! :D

DJ

I have my blog for both, documentaion and sharing.

There are tools that will download an entire website for archival purpsoes. So you can create your fancy blog, upload pictures, then download the whole thing. Do a search for "website archival" or "Website download"

Caution:
I've used httrack (its free) before, but my virus scanner did pick up something odd in it last time i installed it. It does work as intended, but proceed with caution.

Ralp & DJ, I built my -4 using blogger. There is a link below. Blogger is run by Google and free.

To keep a copy of my blog on my system I use HTTrack. Its also free.

For backup you could use Mozy, or Spider Oak. Thats what I do. They are free.

Builder website/documentation

As a DAR, I'd prefer to see a printed out copy of your website. Since websites come and go, the next owner of your plane might like to see it also.

In selling planes, good documents are a selling point: poor paperwork scares away customers.

Documentation

Vern,
Good point. Since I purchased KitlogPro I may use that to document the build offline, which can print out everything (plus I can store the entire build on a CD or offline). For sharing, it sounds like a blog is the way to go.

I checked out Wordpress, but to set it up I needed to figure out a few things based on where I'm hosting it... too confusing for 1:00 am so I will look at it later. Maybe the Google blog will be easier.

Back