What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonding SV-1 vents to RV-6 cowling?

BruceW

Well Known Member
I'm helping a friend install NACA vents from Vans (Vent SV-1) onto sides of a well used RV-6 cowling.
Location is fixed. The install will help clean up some very funky cabin ventilation. (dont ask for more details, please)

Wondering how to best bond the SV-1 vent (dunno what kind of plastic it is) with the old fiberglass cowl side?
My first thought is a slurry mix of epoxy resin and additives. (But wonder how it will bond to the vent plastic.)
Also thinking of proseal. (seemingly bonds anything to anything) Wondering if there are other adhesive options?
In either case, will also include screw or rivet fasteners with aluminum backing to the vent.
Advice apriciated.

I'm helping a friend install NACA vents from Vans (Vent SV-1) onto sides of a well used RV-6 cowling.
Location is fixed. The install will help clean up some very funky cabin ventilation. (dont ask for more details, please)

Wondering how to best bond the SV-1 vent (dunno what kind of plastic it is) with the old fiberglass cowl side?
My first thought is a slurry mix of epoxy resin and additives. (But wonder how it will bond to the vent plastic.)
Also thinking of proseal. (seemingly bonds anything to anything) Wondering if there are other adhesive options?
In either case, will also include screw or rivet fasteners with aluminum backing to the vent.
Advice apriciated.
I think they are ABS
Text sealant adheres to it very well.
That is commonly used to bond them to the interior surfaces of fuselage skins.

It is not very tolerant of exposure to radiant heat from the exhaust.
If it will be anywhere near exhaust pipes, it will need to be shielded in someway.

Epoxy will stick to polyester fiberglass if sanded back to the fiber.
Epoxy should stick to the SV-1 if the vent is roughened on the surface.
If necessary the vent could be glassed in on the inside with a couple of strips of cloth over the flange. Then it will never move or come off.

A polyurethane adhesive/sealant like 3m 5200 will work well and not require any mechanical fasteners. It is considered permanent though.

Comes in white or black but can be painted. Anywhere that sells boat supplies should have it.

THanks for the replies . . .

Scott, "Text sealant adheres to it very well." What is a text sealant?
"It is not very tolerant of exposure to radiant heat from the exhaust." Vent placement is up on the sides, away from the exhaust. But still on the hot side of the cowl.

Paul; If epoxy resin works, would be an easy install to the fiberglass cowl. Like the overlap idea too.

Tom; 3M 5200 looks solid too. Yes, will be a permanent.

THanks for the replies . . .

Scott, "Text sealant adheres to it very well." What is a text sealant?
"It is not very tolerant of exposure to radiant heat from the exhaust." Vent placement is up on the sides, away from the exhaust. But still on the hot side of the cowl.

Paul; If epoxy resin works, would be an easy install to the fiberglass cowl. Like the overlap idea too.

Tom; 3M 5200 looks solid too. Yes, will be a permanent.
Oops, darn autocorrect

Tank sealant

Exhaust pipes aren’t only at the bottom of the cowl. They turn vertically to attach to the bottom of each cylinder. This is actually the hottest part of the exhaust.

Back