What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Be Careful Blocking Off The Oil Cooler

Geico266

Well Known Member
Today, I got a lesson in OAT @ altitude. Some weeks ago I blocked off the oil cooler about 75% for cold country flying. Flew to Dallas area (looking for the infamous DR;)) 3 hour 1 way flight, with no problems at all.

Today, I piles my buddies in the 10, preflight, and we are off to the Sat flyin B-fast at York, NE (BTW 1st Sat of EVERY month:D) oil temps sky rocket past 180 - 190 - 200 -210- (I'm getting concerned) 220 ....................230 (Now I'm calling it out as an emergency due to traffic in the area (they all thought I was just hungry and wanted to get in the food line quicker).... 240F I'm on a downwind final 35 to get this baby on the ground.

Upon landing Randy (FBO) comes out with a cup of coffee in his hand says, your the 2nd guy to do this today. The OAT at altitude is 55-70F. :eek: The ground level temps were 28F when I took off!

Removed baffel, flew home, no problems.

I think I'm gonna install an inflight adjustable oil cooler door, after I change my shorts, and my oil.

Let's be careful out there!

Back