What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage area floor thickness

riobison

Well Known Member
Gents,

Looking at installing some rivnuts in the baggage area and I was wondering if anyone would know the thickness of the floor skin?

Thank

Tim

I think it's 0.032". I did the rivnut thing as well for some of those spring latch baggage tie-down gizmos.

.025 2024- T3 alcad

+1 Right from the Parts Index Sheets. Not very thick for retaining baggage with a couple of rivnuts. Did you mean nutplates? Consider attaching to the underside of the baggage floor rib flanges.

Thin

The baggage floor is thin. I cut 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood to cover the floor and provide a little more support when I was building.

Baggage tie downs

Assuming you're thinking about a nut for a tie down, I'm planning to put the nutplates on sections of 3/4X3/4 aluminum angle or maybe J-Channel nested and riveted under the floor rib. There's a lot of tension on tie downs. I want them secure. Plan is to install four in the corners.

I basically did what Larry ^^^ is suggesting, I put some 3/4" angles as reinforcement on the top baggage rib flanges out in the four corners & fitted #10 nutplates. I used the two-piece tie downs Vans have in their shop, so the base is permanent on the floor and I can put in the spring-retained rings as/when needed. I might even have a photo I can share somewhere.....

Need the specs for the grip range on the rivnuts.

I didn't build it so I dont have the specs. I see that Vans will sell the plans on a USB stick so that is on my to Buy List.

Building a bracket to mount my O2 bottle to. I agree that I will need to attach it to the aluminium angle or j stringers to have any holding strength at all.

Thanks

Tim

Back