What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aveo Conforma Wing tips - Vegas/Reno Edition

kibrickj

Anyone out there understand how the recognition lights work on the Vegas or Reno Edition of the new Aveo Winglets? Or the long range lights and wig wag function for the matter. Damien's replacement was sketchy on details, but he made it sound like the recognition lights have a the same function as wig wag but with the landing lights? Wiring diagram is out there on web site, but not clear on exact functionality with both the Vegas and Reno versions. I have one on pre-order, but trying to figure out exact functionality ahead of time if I can. Reno wiring diagram makes it sound like it a pulse function, while Vegas wiring diagrams makes it appear like the long range recognition lights are on all the time, but is unclear if the recognition switch drives a pulse or wig wag function.

The best I can discern is that wig wag only functions on the taxi lights, and only when the taxi lights are on and the wig wag switch is on in the Reno and Vegas version. As to the recognition function, not a clue other than what was previously stated. Aveo's new rep (Jakub) thought the landing lights pulse from one side to the other, similar to the the wig wag function. I think either he doesn't know or something is getting lost in translation. I was hoping to figure out or hoping someone actually saw one in action at Oshkosh or Sun n Fun.....

The wing tips looks fantastic, but I've heard complaints about their documentation....I think I'm starting to get where they are coming from.

Any thoughts from those that know appreciated.

Anyone out there understand how the recognition lights work on the Vegas or Reno Edition of the new Aveo Winglets? Or the long range lights and wig wag function for the matter. Damien's replacement was sketchy on details, but he made it sound like the recognition lights have a the same function as wig wag but with the landing lights? Wiring diagram is out there on web site, but not clear on exact functionality with both the Vegas and Reno versions. I have one on pre-order, but trying to figure out exact functionality ahead of time if I can. Reno wiring diagram makes it sound like it a pulse function, while Vegas wiring diagrams makes it appear like the long range recognition lights are on all the time, but is unclear if the recognition switch drives a pulse or wig wag function.

The best I can discern is that wig wag only functions on the taxi lights, and only when the taxi lights are on and the wig wag switch is on in the Reno and Vegas version. As to the recognition function, not a clue other than what was previously stated. Aveo's new rep (Jakub) thought the landing lights pulse from one side to the other, similar to the the wig wag function. I think either he doesn't know or something is getting lost in translation. I was hoping to figure out or hoping someone actually saw one in action at Oshkosh or Sun n Fun.....

I talked to them (both Damien, Jakub, and a bit to one of their engineers) extensively about this (and I'm among the first few in line for the Vegas) - I understand the recog lights were originally developed for military applications and are similar to a laser (if anyone here is a laser scientist or engineer, don't freak out, I'm using the term loosely :) ) so it should stay visible for a long distance (they claim 30nm). The wig-wag thing is indeed a bit weird but I wired per their diagram (except I used the same switch for taxi and wig-wag, and for landing and recog).

The wing tips looks fantastic, but I've heard complaints about their documentation....I think I'm starting to get where they are coming from.
Good news is, I'm planning to write my own documentation once I install them :) so hopefully that'll make it easier.

Here's what I'm doing for wiring and switches:
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 17.59.17.png

PXL_20240317_053212171.jpg

(I'll eventually get proper engravings updated)

Started the install process for the Aveo Vegas wing tips. Really nicely done. Amp readings are well within their specification. Recognition lighting flash rate looks very similar to the strobe lighting and will need to see if the synch is able to time both. The dimming function allows all lights to run at 25% of intensity (About 2 amps per wingtip) to check if they are working on the walk-around. Also great to provide lighting for nighttime loading and unloading.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-22 205203.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-22 205203.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Started the install process for the Aveo Vegas wing tips. Really nicely done. Amp readings are well within their specification. Recognition lighting flash rate looks very similar to the strobe lighting and will need to see if the synch is able to time both. The dimming function allows all lights to run at 25% of intensity (About 2 amps per wingtip) to check if they are working on the walk-around. Also great to provide lighting for nighttime loading and unloading.
So if I am interpreting/inferring correctly from the combination of what you said and the version of the wiring diagram attached , the recognition long range circuit (purple 18 gauge in diagram), causes recognition lights to flash? Do the recognition lights come on steady with the landing lights circuit on? Did the wig wag require the taxi lights to be on?....Really great to hear that you like the quality overall. Surprised the functionality of the dimming function was not as very specifically specified in diagram.

Last edited:
So if I am interpreting/inferring correctly from the combination of what you said and the version of the wiring diagram attached , the recognition long range circuit (purple 18 gauge in diagram), causes recognition lights to flash? Do the recognition lights come on steady with the landing lights circuit on? Did the wig wag require the taxi lights to be on?....Really great to hear that you like the quality overall. Surprised the functionality of the dimming function was not as very specifically specified in diagram.
To date I have only removed them from the packaging and did an amp draw every circuit. I was not sure exactly how the maintenance mode function operates but with power on that circuit and no power to the rest of the circuits all came on 25% (Strobes just came on 25% and did not flash). When I activated the taxi or landing light it came on 25% and the rest of the lights went out when in maintenance mode. I am a little constrained with the number of switches to use as my panel is already complete and 99% of the harness wiring in. Adding wires is still ok but cutting holes is a little troublesome. I am out of switch positions in the AeroSport 310 panel. The wiring diagram says ground Illum or tail logo and they mean and tail logo. Having both on would be ok for me. I was thinking of just adding that to the Nav switch since that will be on almost 100% of the time and having ground and tail on also ok. I did not try recognition with other combination of switches and when I ran it basically strobed with the existing strobe lights. (They are very bright and even during the daytime I saw dots for a while when I looked on the wall of my hangar the reflection) The synch line keeps strobes and recognition timed correctly. I asked Aveo about combining recognition and synch and the response was not to do it as they are separate functions and no other explanation. I did not see anywhere where the recognition light stopped flashing when another circuit was activated but will try that in the next few days. The wig wag function requires power to that circuit (normally previous Aveo wing tip products required a ground to activate wig-wag) I did power up taxi and turned wig wag on and it functioned properly but now has me thinking since wig wag is a power input possibly just turning on wig wag and no taxi the taxi lights will wig wag without it on? Need to test. The bonding circuit has me confused. Was told to tie these lines together and then go to ground by Aveo. The wiring diagram shows to just tie each to ground. Seems that would be ok, but Aveo was insistent when I asked about the bonding circuit function to do it this way. More to come it seems.

Last edited:
Recognition light is also one of the landing lights so when you turn landing light on recognition light comes on. If you have the recognition switch on it will continue to flash with landing lights on. Recognition light (0.4 amps per side) to me is not as bright as landing (3.0 amps per side) or taxi (1.5 amps per side) when looking at it from 150 ft. When I turned wig was on wig wag (Taxi lights) seemed to overwhelm recognition lighting. It's all very nice lighting and every bit as bright if not brighter than older Zip Tips. I really like the maintenance mode that will provide ample lighting for nighttime ground operations loading and unloading along with light inspection for a walk around. Ground and rudder lighting are excellent. (Vegas wingtip sitting on top of the 14 wingtip, in the cockpit was not distracting)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-25 214944.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 214944.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 19
Great info! I take it wig wag doesn't need taxi light circuit powered? You are giving me the confidence to move forward with panel planning/wiring without having the actual product.

Wigwag does need the taxi light powered. Just wire it per Rdamazio's drawing. Taxi light switch on no wigwag, flip the wig wag switch on you get wigwag. Suggest using the same taxi circuit to keep taxi light electrons all going through the same fuse but not necessary. If you want to combine some functions that at least electrically works. For me I'm combining recognition and strobes, rudder and ground with nav/position.

Back