What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto Pilot Roll Servo Location

RayJr

Hello All,

Has anyone successfully installed a roll servo in a flying RV3A?

I'm finally ready to install my Dynon roll servo in my RV3A. The plane is long sealed up and access is tight.

The aileron bell crank access panel is quite small. I can hardly fit my hand in there. I think installing the large servo would be nearly impossible.

Under the seat offers very little room too. I would need to make more serious mods to get it in there than I'm really comfortable with.

The wingtip seems like the best choice but not sure about the extra long pushrod back to the bell crank.

Does anyone have experience with this install?

Thanks

Just looked at my RV-3B. Wonder if there would be enough room in one of the fuselage wells (covered by access plate) for the servo and a clamp around the pushrod?

Finn

RV-3 Trio EZ Pilot wing tip servo install

I am in the process of installing the roll servo in the wing of my RV-3. I finished the servo and push rod install today using the Trio RV-4 & RV-6 instructions as a guide: https://www.trioavionics.com/RV4-6_Servo_Wingtip_Install.pdf The kit referred to is no longer available, so I fabed my own. Everything fit in just fine.

On to the control head and wiring tomorrow....

I did the roll servo in my first RV (RV6) the way Dave did above, in the wingtip. It worked fine.
You might also be able to do something similar to what I did on my RV4. I don’t know what the front seat stick control is made on an RV3, but if it’s similar to the RV4, this way was easy to install, service, and check. I fabricated all the parts of the mount, but easy to do just looking at the pic:

IMG_0038.jpg

Belly access

Avionics shop that did our 3A made an access in the belly with a removable plate to cover it. Works great. It is a Garmin G3X Touch system with their autopilot servos.

I did the roll servo in my first RV (RV6) the way Dave did above, in the wingtip. It worked fine.
You might also be able to do something similar to what I did on my RV4. I don’t know what the front seat stick control is made on an RV3, but if it’s similar to the RV4, this way was easy to install, service, and check. I fabricated all the parts of the mount, but easy to do just looking at the pic:

View attachment 52436

Unfortunately the control stick in the RV-3 (at least in my RV-3B) does not lend itself to the simple solution in the RV-4.

Finn

Hello All,

Has anyone successfully installed a roll servo in a flying RV3A?

I'm finally ready to install my Dynon roll servo in my RV3A. The plane is long sealed up and access is tight.

The aileron bell crank access panel is quite small. I can hardly fit my hand in there. I think installing the large servo would be nearly impossible.

Under the seat offers very little room too. I would need to make more serious mods to get it in there than I'm really comfortable with.

The wingtip seems like the best choice but not sure about the extra long pushrod back to the bell crank.

Does anyone have experience with this install?

Thanks

The long pushrod for the wingtip installation isn't a problem, especially in the very short RV-3 wing. Use large diameter, thin wall tubing and it won't flex.

Thanks for all the tips and photos.

I think I'll take one more crack at trying to squeeze it in the belly. Failing that I'll go for the tip.

Cheers

Back