What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Archer NAV antennas and AEROLEDS AEROSIN VX in wing tip

sballmer

I'm New Here
I am thinking about installing the AEROLEDS AEROSIN VX in our RV-14A wingtips. ( https://aeroleds.com/products/aerosun-vx-vans-rv-wingtip-mounting-led-lights/ )

But I am also planning to put Archer NAV antennas into the wingtips.
( https://www.steinair.com/product/right-wingtip-nav-antenna/ )

I am worrying though about having the extra metal from the AEROLEDS wing tip lights ahead of the antenna blocking some of the ILS/VOR reception.

Does anybody have both AEROLEDS AEROSIN VX and Archer NAV antennas in their wing tips? I would be curious about your experience with signal reception - ILS in particular, as it would be the forward direction that would be most affected.

Thanks!

I have FlyLEDs in front of my Archer, no problems. But note: the FlyLEDs are strictly DC, I think the Aeroleds use a PWM circuit which might introduce noise into the antenna (they’re close together). Need to test to be sure.
Edit. I noticed you said antennas, plural. I don’t know anyone who has installed one in each wing.

Last edited:
I am worrying though about having the extra metal from the AEROLEDS wing tip lights ahead of the antenna blocking some of the ILS/VOR reception.
Those lights might make a small difference in nav reception but if the antenna is properly tuned/adjusted, I doubt you'd see any significant difference.

Bob's point about power supplies is a good one as some LED lights are better shielded than others. My Whelen LED nav/strobes are dead quiet, but my Baja landing lights generate a barely-detectable hiss that I can only hear if I disable com squelch.

HTH

Dave

Stefan,

We do not anticipate any issue with interference. We have not received any reports of issues with similar applications. Feel free to reach out to us and speak with one of our engineers if you'd like to chat about this further! (208) 850-3294

Back