What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A couple RV-4 dimensions needed

Gyrup

I'm New Here
Moving an RV-4 that’s currently in storage 500+ miles away. It’s packed in there pretty well, so near impossible to measure now…to make sure I bring the right enclosed trailer for the job.
Wings are removed.
I’m thinking the horizontal stabilizer/elevator would be the widest dimension…?… Need that width & an overall length with & without prop. I suppose tail wheel could be removed for transport also….?…Wondering how much length that might save as well. So many questions!!!
O-320 E2D engine. It’s on U 5:00x5-6 6-ply tires.
Trying to get overall length under 20 ft. if posssible. Would very much prefer not to have to make 2 trips😁.
Apppreciate any & all assistance with this…numbers &/or any thoughts.

It LOOKS like the H. stab. is wider than the gear. If you take the prop and spinner off, and the elevator, rudder and tailwheel, that should put you a fair bit under 20'. I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get the tailwheel stinger out of the fuselage though.

I've got a project "stuck" about 900 miles from me in a similar state, but with the H. stab. removed. Just waiting for the planets to align so I can go get it....

RV-4 packing demensions

Moving an RV-4 that’s currently in storage 500+ miles away. I’m thinking the horizontal stabilizer/elevator would be the widest dimension…?…

That would be correct. Gear nut-to-nut: 79 inches. That is with the short gear legs. Can't say with the long gear. :confused:

Need that width & an overall length with & without prop. I suppose tail wheel could be removed for transport also….?…Wondering how much length that might save as well.
Trying to get overall length under 20 ft. if possible.

SuzieQ measures 8 feet at the widest part of the horizontal surface, with the elevators removed. She measures 19 feet in three-point position from the prop extension with the prop removed to the non-standard, full-swivel tail wheel and the rudder removed. That would leave a foot to spare from nose to tail if you are looking at a 20 foot trailer. Add 6 or so inches to that if you leave the prop on..... Hint: take it off! You do not need nor want to try to remove the tail wheel 'stinger', although it is possible....:eek:

Any more info needed, post.

Welcome to owning the best RV in the fleet!!:);)

Just realized I didn’t reply to everyone’s responses.
Thank you for your help with the measurements!
Not sure yet how “the big move” is going to happen, but it looks like we’re going to make two trips…the seller making one & me making the other. Seller REALLY wants to protect his creation…& I don’t disagree.

Back