What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5K Pull Up Resistor

I know this seems dumb but I’m having trouble sourcing a 5K pull up resistor for use in the ESP Inhibit circuit. Can someone please point me in the right direction to buy one?
Thanks!

I know this seems dumb but I’m having trouble sourcing a 5K pull up resistor for use in the ESP Inhibit circuit. Can someone please point me in the right direction to buy one?
Thanks!
Here are the specs that Garmin sent me. I purchased them from Digi-Key.
Garmin.png

Seems like a typo to me… how could a 5K resistor need to be 3 W given P = V squared over R, 14.4 * 14.4 / 5,000 = .041… 1/8 W will work, or 1/4 W, or 1/2 W, and I don’t understand 1% tolerance is required, or that it’s not 5K or 4.7K or 5.1K

Last edited:
Seems like a typo to me… how could a 5K resistor need to be 3 W given P = V squared over R, 14.4 * 14.4 / 5,000 = .041… 1/8 W will work, or 1/4 W, or 1/2 W, and I don’t understand 1% tolerance is required.
I agree, especially for a 'pull up' resistor function, a 1% tolerance is way overkill. For "5K" use the much more common "4.7K". And, as quoted above., in a 14 volt airplane the power consumption can't exceed about 200/R watts (R in ohms).

Thanks!
Hi. You can use either 4.99kOhms or 5.11kOhms 1% 1/4W resistor. You can buy it in every electronic components shop.

Thanks!
Why do you need an inhibit switch? A simple tap on the AP bar you can turn on/off.

I (possibly incorrectly) don't understand the need for this switch anyway. I have an AP Master switch that depowers the servos, and I'm pretty certain everyone else has this in their design as well.

I (possibly incorrectly) don't understand the need for this switch anyway. I have an AP Master switch that depowers the servos, and I'm pretty certain everyone else has this in their design as well.
The ESP inhibit switch allows you to turn that function off without turning the whole autopilot system off so you can go do aerobatics and not have the system try to engage the autopilot during the maneuver. And with the autopilot system still on, you can quickly engage it if necessary.

The ESP inhibit switch allows you to turn that function off without turning the whole autopilot system off so you can go do aerobatics and not have the system try to engage the autopilot during the maneuver. And with the autopilot system still on, you can quickly engage it if necessary.
You can turn ESP on/off with a tap on the AP bar and a tap of the ESP button, has nothing to do with regular functions of the AP.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.png
    IMG_0840.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Not everyone. I instruct in the local flying club’s 182, with 3 mini G-275 efis controlling the autopilot. No AP on/off switch, it boots up with ESP on. When I ask for a steep turn, or a stall, most pilots look perplexed, not understanding that the ESP is fighting them. To turn it off you have to go down one layer, then sideways, in the 275’s display. I usually pull the AP CB, it’s easier.

You only need a pullup resistor if using the analog GP inputs on the GEA 24. The ESP disable can also be assigned to any of the discrete inputs in the GEA 24 or GAD 27 and you don't need a pullup resistor for the discrete inputs. The only exception is Discrete 8 and Discrete 9 on the GAD 27, those are internally pulled down apparently as I discovered. But if you use one of the discrete inputs, you only need to provide a switch to ground.

You only need a pullup resistor if using the analog GP inputs on the GEA 24. The ESP disable can also be assigned to any of the discrete inputs in the GEA 24 or GAD 27 and you don't need a pullup resistor for the discrete inputs. The only exception is Discrete 8 and Discrete 9 on the GAD 27, those are internally pulled down apparently as I discovered. But if you use one of the discrete inputs, you only need to provide a switch to ground.
Mine is wired that way into a discrete with a disable switch on the panel.

Back