What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Tachometer

tporter

I'm looking for some comment on these tachs that Van sells, The elec. ones with transducer on engine. Mine seems to be about 300 rpms off at higher power settings.

I have been running Van's tach (2") for several years. It's right on!
I have tested it with my optical test tach up to 2750 rpm.
Mel...DAR

RPM reads good...

I'm on my third tach generator in only 50 hours. However, RPM readings were always good.

What type of testing did you perform? What engine and prop setup are you running? What RPM are you expecting, and what are you getting?
Greg

My Tach

Tach & transducer at about 75 hours with no problems. Tested on ground using optical test tach from 800-2000 rpm and it was accurate. It replaced a digital/optical (alternating black/white strip inside of starter ring) and is much more accurate than that one.

Tach & transducer at about 75 hours with no problems. Tested on ground using optical test tach from 800-2000 rpm and it was accurate. It replaced a digital/optical (alternating black/white strip inside of starter ring) and is much more accurate than that one.
Do you know who makes that digital/optical tach you mentioned in your post of 03/2006? Know it has been a long time, but my RV4 has one of those and I'm curious if the outfit that makes them is still in the business and has new ones or something "better."

I'm looking for some comment on these tachs that Van sells, The elec. ones with transducer on engine. Mine seems to be about 300 rpms off at higher power settings.[/QUOTE
Mine ran 200 rpm high also. It took me a long time to realize it. Anyway I replaced it with an EI digital which is accurate. Checked it with an optical tach.

Do you know who makes that digital/optical tach you mentioned in your post of 03/2006? Know it has been a long time, but my RV4 has one of those and I'm curious if the outfit that makes them is still in the business and has new ones or something "better."

My digital optical tachometer is made by Apex Electronics. It's called a "TruTach".
I've had it for many years.

Aircraft Spruce currently carries the TruTach II for under $200.

Last edited:
TACH VS HEAT

Greg and all
''I'm on my third tach generator in only 50 hours. ''

Your problem is most likely heat related...Install one or more (depending where you live) cooling blast tube that arrive just on top of your tachgen and you won't have any more problems..

I went thru 2 tachgen in short order before I happened to touch it and it was cooking...the cool air fixed the problem..

Good luck

Bruno

Greg and all
''I'm on my third tach generator in only 50 hours. ''

Your problem is most likely heat related...Install one or more (depending where you live) cooling blast tube that arrive just on top of your tachgen and you won't have any more problems..

I went thru 2 tachgen in short order before I happened to touch it and it was cooking...the cool air fixed the problem..
Good luck

Bruno

Mine is mounted on the firewall, no problem and right on the money.......:)

Strobe

One way to check your tach is to use the strobe effect which you will get from a flourescent light. You can check your rpm at sub-harmonics of 7200 rpm. This relies on the fact that the light output from the flourescent is not steady but pulses at 120 pps. An incandescent bulb will work, but just barely, since its light output is steadier than the flourescent. This test is best performed in a shady area or just after sunset. Night works best if you are in a lit area so that there is no safety problem when working near the prop. You might even be able to observe this from sodium-vapor or similar lamps providing apron lighting! At these sub-harmonics the prop will appear to stand still with varying numbers of blades. For instance, a two-blade prop will appear as four blades spaced 90 degrees apart and standing still at 1800 rpm. At 1200 rpm it will look like a six blade prop, with a blade every 60 degrees standing still. This is a fuzzy looking blade, not a sharp ouline, but it's the relative motion or lack of it that counts!

Here is what you should have........................

1. ONE TOUCH DIGITAL TACHOMETER
This digital LCD tachometer reads 2, 3, or 4 blade props very accurately. Very easy to use and features auto-shutoff and 10 RPM readout.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/onetouch.php - 1.0kb

10-00749 ONE TOUCH DIGITAL TACH CHECK + $36.50

Aircraft Spruce......

You can check your prop as you fly. And can confirm the accuracy of the prop check by pointing it at an ac current light. It will read 3600 rpm in two blade setting. It sees 60 cycles per second X 60 seconds to = one minute of cycles or rpm.

Last edited:
Back