What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unusual RVs that you know of?

Duncannon

What are some unusual builds modifications that you know of on some Vans aircraft? For example, I’ve read about an RV 7 with a 120 gallon fuel capacity. There‘s also a thread about where someone converted an RV to retractable-gear (with lackluster speed improvements). There are also RV 4s that have been converted to single-seat.

What are some unusual builds modifications that you know of on some Vans aircraft? For example, I’ve read about an RV 7 with a 120 gallon fuel capacity. There‘s also a thread about where someone converted an RV to retractable-gear (with lackluster speed improvements). There are also RV 4s that have been converted to single-seat.
The Twinjag
Is it still flying?

Spoilers on an RV-4:

i-nvMCRqw-L.jpg

i-jSnT3Q7-L.jpg

I’ve seen wing lockers for jackets, wingtips held on with hinges, access doors for O2 and batteries, tail lights (logo lights) that shine up on the vertical stab, RV-4 with four wing tanks a STOL RV-6 with baby bush tires and VGs.. I’ll try to post some pics later..

Attachments

• B88EF24F-9A0D-41E2-A25D-B062E38783B3.jpg
    B88EF24F-9A0D-41E2-A25D-B062E38783B3.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_5464.jpeg
    IMG_5464.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 540
  • IMG_7629.jpeg
    IMG_7629.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 501
  • IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 484
  • IMG_5539.jpeg
    IMG_5539.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 459
  • IMG_5538.jpeg
    IMG_5538.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 467
  • IMG_5542.jpeg
    IMG_5542.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 480
  • IMG_5358.jpeg
    IMG_5358.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 591
Last edited:
There’s a radial engined RV8 out there somewhere. Not sure if it has flown.
Early in my RV life, I hangared with one of the builders of a retract 4. He even had the rib dies, now lost in time…. and yes, heavy with marginal speed gains.
There has been discussions about a twin fuselage RV4, or 8, but not sure anybody has pulled the trigger.
Also, RV4 modified for round the world trip. Lots more gas!
There was a 6 out there with a rear Childs seat position.
Bob Mills has flown his Super 6 with tapered carbon wings.
Just a few.

The RV-9A with the Rotax 915is is definitely unique (until folsk start building more…), and its a fine airplane!

-A number of turbocharged Subarus have successfully been flown. One which I built.
-I jazzed & supercharged a Harmon Rocket II which clocked the fastest race lap times at Reno (without the benefit of a blue bottle) for a RVtype plane.
-A buddy across the taxi way from me built a stretched RV-6 with a 540 & Rocket gear legs configured for 3 passengers (plus pilot).

There was a turboprop RV-4 around years ago. It flew, was at Oshkosh once maybe 25 years ago. I forget the company but they’re long since gone.

There’s a radial engined RV8 out there somewhere. Not sure if it has flown.
Early in my RV life, I hangared with one of the builders of a retract 4. He even had the rib dies, now lost in time…. and yes, heavy with marginal speed gains.
There has been discussions about a twin fuselage RV4, or 8, but not sure anybody has pulled the trigger.
Also, RV4 modified for round the world trip. Lots more gas!
There was a 6 out there with a rear Childs seat position.
Bob Mills has flown his Super 6 with tapered carbon wings.
Just a few.
Their are 2 radial RV8’s flying Brian Kelly’s was the first and mine is the 2nd . Here’s a couple of screenshots pulled from a video that a fellow sent me that he took , sorry posting a video is beyond my technical limitations

Attachments

• AEB0282E-6DA4-451D-8415-57E4F03D8D26.png
    AEB0282E-6DA4-451D-8415-57E4F03D8D26.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 296
  • E1C6E91B-3B82-40AB-9469-7D00B4392302.png
    E1C6E91B-3B82-40AB-9469-7D00B4392302.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 258
  • 669DF118-DB56-4D34-BB46-ED04544B20EF.png
    669DF118-DB56-4D34-BB46-ED04544B20EF.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 293
  • A0717F60-4627-4B3C-8863-5A863A5DD040.png
    A0717F60-4627-4B3C-8863-5A863A5DD040.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 281
This is going to be a fun thread! I didn't know about all the open-cockpit ones (edit: or about the second radial RV-8), learned something already!

And I had totally forgotten about the Flying Tiger. That's an amazing airplane, came very close (within 380 feet!) to taking the piston-engine altitude record from the B-29.

Let's see, which ones can I think of...
Editing again to collect just a few of the many auto engine conversions:

RV4 modified for round the world trip. Lots more gas!

Yes, Jon Johanson:
https://www.southpolestation.com/news/rv4/rv4.html
https://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/jonjohanson.html

Last edited:
A new tenant at our airport. LS1 V-8 powered RV-7A. Built by an A&P in early 2000s according to the current owner. Sounds great on the ground and in the air.

Attachments

• IMG_4110.jpeg
    IMG_4110.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4112.jpeg
    IMG_4112.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 209
There was a turboprop RV-4 around years ago. It flew, was at Oshkosh once maybe 25 years ago. I forget the company but they’re long since gone.
There was Affordable Turbine Power, which became Innodyn, and then I don't know what happened. Looked promising, with all the usual caveats. Used to follow them, hoping for a viable product before I finished building.

Well if auto conversions count, there was a Mazda Wankel Rotary in a RV-6 in So Cal. And I'm sure many others.

I think there was an RV-6 with aft facing jumpseats?
That’s my buddy Bengt Follinger’s plane. Bronze color, 16 or 18” stretch aft of the spar, canopy raised slightly, full IFR & his wife flew aerobatics in it.
A real nice stable flying plane.
I briefly flew Bob mills stretched 6 too & that was a great flyer.

The RV 4 retractable was in the hangar across from me in KEUL - Caldwell ID. He had a leg collapse at AV years ago. It was repaired and flown again by him for a short time, then sold. It was cool looking flying but in his words, not worth the trouble and added expense.

My mentor has a 6XXL. It is stretched in length and width, and new wings built about 18" longer on each side. A really nice 540 is the power unit. The coolest thing is the power canopy controlled with a key switch. I will go through some old backup files and see if I can find pictures of the retractable.

I’ve seen wing lockers for jackets, wingtips held on with hinges, access doors for O2 and batteries, tail lights (logo lights) that shine up on the vertical stab, RV-4 with four wing tanks a STOL RV-6 with baby bush tires and VGs.. I’ll try to post some pics later..
Have pics of the logo lights? I've been thinking of doing something like this

This is going to be a fun thread! I didn't know about all the open-cockpit ones (edit: or about the second radial RV-8), learned something already!

And I had totally forgotten about the Flying Tiger. That's an amazing airplane, came very close (within... ~300 feet?) to taking the piston-engine altitude record from the B-29.

Editing to include some of the many auto engine conversions: Yamaha RV-9, Honda RV-12, countless Subarus...

I'll edit this again later when I find my pictures of the four-seat RV-6.

Yes, Jon Johanson:
I just saw that RV4 with retracts at Wentworth last week crumpled up in a ball, sad

There is a video out there of its record run-----AOA is crazy, and he holds that until reaching target altitude. Onboard video will shock you.

Two of my favorite things combined. Rotaries and RVs.

Attachments

• 20210917_190150.jpg
    20210917_190150.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
That’s my buddy Bengt Follinger’s plane. Bronze color, 16 or 18” stretch aft of the spar, canopy raised slightly, full IFR & his wife flew aerobatics in it.
A real nice stable flying plane.

I finally got around to digging up my pictures of this airplane, the four-seat RV-6. When your friend Bengt noticed that I was curiously taking up-close pictures of it, he was kind enough to open the canopy (despite some rain having just moved through) and answer my questions. In any case: Very neat mod.

I have to admit that, as a structures engineer, I worry a bit about things like the impact on fatigue and flutter, and on the capability of the landing gear to withstand a non-smooth landing... and the baggage bulkhead is there for a reason... but the RV-6 is quite over-designed in many respects, so, it's probably fine as long as he and his wife are not too rough on the airplane and/or if the structure was properly reinforced 🤞 (And shoulder-belts are ideally not supposed to keep your shoulders from moving upwards, but that's a whole other story... I don't know what the solution is when the seats are back-to-back like this, I'll pay attention to the shoulder-belt arrangement next time I see one of those six-seaters where the middle row faces aft).

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

Last edited:
And shoulder-belts are ideally not supposed to keep your shoulders from moving upwards, but that's a whole other story...

That was my first thought when I saw this. Pilot and co-pilot are going to come out about 8" shorter if they ever crash this.

That was my first thought when I saw this. Pilot and co-pilot are going to come out about 8" shorter if they ever crash this.

I think I would be more concerned about the back of my head and the back of my rear seaters head trying to occupy the same point in space in the event that things got sporty...

Have pics of the logo lights? I've been thinking of doing something like this
All of the Team AeroDynamix planes had LED lights that lit up the vertical stabilizer. It helped for seeing the planes during "night show" performances while not being too bright as to adversely affect vision.

And I had totally forgotten about the Flying Tiger. That's an amazing airplane, came very close (within... ~300 feet?) to taking the piston-engine altitude record from the B-29.

Yes, Jon Johanson:
And here it is, rounding the pylons at Reno with a Rocket-Evo on the outside. Bob Mills Sport #49. the wings are 97 sq ft, laminar flow airfoil, 24'8" span AR=6.3. The wings ended up about 10 lb heavier than original Rocket wings, but were static load tested to6.7 gs at 1700 TOGW, are probably good for 350 mph, very stout. Stall speed increased 2 kt, top speed increased 8 kt. 55 gallons of fuel and 7 gallons of airshow smoke oil. I think the second set will come in 15 lb lighter. photo courtesy of Kevin Eccles

Attachments

• Rocket6 w:Evo Rocket.jpg
    Rocket6 w:Evo Rocket.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 72
My favorite modification would be being able to remove the canopy. My rv6 slider canopy comes off in just a minute or two. Would be nice to be able to remove on nice evenings and just cruise around.

There is a video out there of its record run-----AOA is crazy, and he holds that until reaching target altitude. Onboard video will shock you.
The second most shocking thing about that video is how bad the music is. OMG.

My favorite modification would be being able to remove the canopy. My rv6 slider canopy comes off in just a minute or two. Would be nice to be able to remove on nice evenings and just cruise around.
Two things here;
Most open cockpit airplanes are pretty slow. My Bucker cruises around 115 mph, faster than most. In an RV, cruising at typical open cockpit speeds, on that “nice” day, many will struggle with engine/oil cooling. Sure, you can go faster but…..
If you look at cockpit fairing, again, most open cockpit aircraft are tightly faired around the cockpit. The Bucker has fold down covers which fit up and around your shoulders and head. You can’t get out without folding them down. Here’s a pic, fairings up:

It is fun, no doubt, but get battered around for a while and some of that fun starts to wear thin. I have flow it for as many as ten flight hours in a day and it is exhausting, even for a few hours.
It would take a lot of work to fair an RV6 to make it comfortable, or even safe. The tandems could be done and there are a few out there.
IMG_3034.jpg

Back