What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 1.29.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

Here's Monday's edition a little early - lots on the punch out list and a busy week. In and out of comm, and apologies in advance. Working that list.
Have a great week!
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (1/27-28/2024)
VAFDR_ 146 Jan. 28.jpg

RV-10 fuel tank vent tube leak fixed!
Upon first fuel fill on Grant Smith's RV-10, there was a tiny leak from the vent tube on the pilot's side. The other end of the vent tube by the filler cap was above the fuel level. When I researched it I found others that had this problem with quick build wings. It is due to the flare nut on the inside of the tank not being tightened enough so that the gas leaks into the vent tube when that union is under gas level. I found a picture of the tool that others have used to tighten that nut reaching in through the hole after removing the float sending unit. I made my own tool and tightened the nut which stopped it some but not all. Further research showed that someone cut an access hole in the spar side of the tank, found and fixed a bad flare. I was resigned to eventually doing something similar when an EAA member, Tim Crouch, remembered how his RV-9 vent tube was designed - which led to my solution.
VAFDR_ 139 Jan. 27.jpg

UPDATE FOR CUSTOMERS WITH OPEN ENGINE/POWERPLANT, PROPELLER AND AVIONICS KIT ORDERS
VAFDR_ 143 Jan. 28.jpg

Gaps in Wing Tip Closeout
I just took over an RV-12is project in progress (luckily a complete kit w/o engine and avionics:)) in the German version of an EAB. My first challenge is the wing tip closeout. I think every angle has been bent as per the instructions. Still there are gaps as you can see in the pictures attached that seem too big to be covered by paint sometime.
Since the holes were, to my understanding, all predrilled by Vans, I can't figure out what went wrong. Bending the lids further inboard or further outboard would likely only shift the gaps to a more horizontal or vertical position but not move them inside the wing.
Is this by design or does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this? I am happy to drill open all the rivets if I knew the reason for the gaps.
VAFDR_ 137 Jan. 27.jpg

RV-7(A) Flap Rod End Bearing
(bruceh) I did the modification to use the rod end bearings, AN bolt and large fender washer to hold the flap actuation rod.
VAFDR_ 138 Jan. 27.jpg

VAN’S AIRCRAFT COMMENTS ON MOSAIC NPRM FAA-2023-1377

New Prop Day! ...P.Dye
It’s going to be so hard to just leave this in the box for the next year!
When we cut the deal on the F1 kit last month, I chatted with Jim Rust at Whirlwind to let him know we’d eventually need a prop. Surprise, surprise….he had a WW-330 just about done that was for another customer, but the order had been put on hold - so it got my name attached, and it showed up yesterday! We opened the box to make sure all looked good, and it does - but we closed it back up for safe storage. (Of course, they are packed facing down so we only saw the back side…..)
Sort of like getting a bike for Christmas when you live in snow country!!
VAFDR_ 140 Jan. 27.jpg

My Home Field is Now Officially 'Aero Valley'
And there was much rejoicing. Its original name - sectional were updated yesterday. A happy day. v/r,dr
VAFDR_ 129 Jan. 25.jpg

OFF TOPIC:
VAFDR_ 144 Jan. 28.jpg

Back