What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 spats

Capt

Well Known Member
Anyone out there in RV4 land have a part number or a source for the mounting plates the non pressure recovery spats mount to! Mine are both showing signs of fatigue cracking where they mount. They look easy to make due being a flat plate but thought I’d look into what’s available out there first, if anything.
👍🛩

Not sure if you have an original set of plans or not but if you do the drawings are actual size on the plans. If my memory is right I think they are flat 2024T3 .063 thick.

Thanks guys. No I didn’t build the plane and can see they are pretty straight forward to make but I wanted to make two news ones first before I pulled the machine out of the air. I guess I need a template?

Thanks guys. No I didn’t build the plane and can see they are pretty straight forward to make but I wanted to make two news ones first before I pulled the machine out of the air. I guess I need a template?
The best template will be the cracked ones you have in use. Hole locations were laid out by the original builder and are “unique” to each build.
Cracking was a common problem with these (you can search the forum for more info). Some made their second versions from stainless with success (and a minor weight penalty).

Good luck,
Peter

Thanks Peter, Yeah I understand the original would best be used as a template but I was curious if a blank was available. Oh well time to pull it to bits.

Just as a side note. Does anyone know if intersection fairings are available ( gear to spat) for these early spats mine has none.

Just as a side note. Does anyone know if intersection fairings are available ( gear to spat) for these early spats mine has none.
That is kind of a custom area as the intersection can be different depending on what fairings are used and other variables. I made mine out of fiberglass cloth laid up against a modeling clay mold. They work well and are a tight fit. The bottom of the fairing comes off to facilitate the removal of the spat......

That is kind of a custom area as the intersection can be different depending on what fairings are used and other variables. I made mine out of fiberglass cloth laid up against a modeling clay mold. They work well and are a tight fit. The bottom of the fairing comes off to facilitate the removal of the spat......
I thought as much. Thanks👍

Back