What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on Garmin/Kavlico Sensors...

Reflex

Well Known Member
All,

I'm in the process of wiring/connecting my manifold, oil, and fuel pressure sensors to the Garmin GEA-24. I've seen many pictures of wires balled up where this connection is made and I'm trying to avoid making a mess.

I was hoping to run all three sensors into a 12 pin Deutsch Connector but I've discovered the leads coming out of the sensors are a size #14 AWG. Given that we're not trying to jump start a D9 bulldozer, I'm wondering who's bright idea at Garmin or Kavlico it was to make the leads this size.

I've searched this site via Google and was hoping to find that Kavlico makes a different connector for these sensors with #20-22 leads. I haven't had any luck. Looks like if I had the connector and pins it would be ultra simple to just make the connector. Looks like this is just 1 step above a Molex connector and pins.

It's not possible to go from #14 to #22 with a Deutsch Connector, I don't want to butt splice (haven't seen a butt splice that works from #14 to #22 anyway), #14 wire isn't going to fit into a D-Sub pin...so if I could find the same connector with smaller leads, I'd have a solution.

Anybody know if Kavlico makes this connection with smaller leads or where to find the connector and pins?

Pics below.

Connector.jpeg

Sensor.jpeg

Last edited:
I managed to find some replacement connector's and pins that I used to connect my sensor wires to. I think I found them on Amazon. No splices!

I managed to find some replacement connector's and pins that I used to connect my sensor wires to. I think I found them on Amazon. No splices!

Same here. Can’t remember exactly where but I don’t think it was too hard to find. I may still have some bags with part numbers at the hangar I can check next time I’m out there.

IMG_0556.jpg

Edit.. did the same on my 7 about 10y ago

IMG_2908.jpg

Last edited:
Same as Larry, I used solder sleeves for newly installed Kavlico sensors...
It's not that you will replace those everyday, my old ones were close to 20 years/2000 hours old :)

All,

I'm in the process of wiring/connecting my manifold, oil, and fuel pressure sensors to the Garmin GEA-24. I've seen many pictures of wires balled up where this connection is made and I'm trying to avoid making a mess.

I was hoping to run all three sensors into a 12 pin Deutsch Connector but I've discovered the leads coming out of the sensors are a size #14 AWG. Given that we're not trying to jump start a D9 bulldozer, I'm wondering who's bright idea at Garmin or Kavlico it was to make the leads this size.

I've searched this site via Google and was hoping to find that Kavlico makes a different connector for these sensors with #20-22 leads. I haven't had any luck. Looks like if I had the connector and pins it would be ultra simple to just make the connector. Looks like this is just 1 step above a Molex connector and pins.

It's not possible to go from #14 to #22 with a Deutsch Connector, I don't want to butt splice (haven't seen a butt splice that works from #14 to #22 anyway), #14 wire isn't going to fit into a D-Sub pin...so if I could find the same connector with smaller leads, I'd have a solution.

Anybody know if Kavlico makes this connection with smaller leads or where to find the connector and pins?

Pics below.

Connector.jpeg

Sensor.jpeg

Actually, depending on which series Deutsch connector you are using, you can get pins for those size wires that will work in the smaller housings...

All,I've discovered the leads coming out of the sensors are a size #14 AWG. Given that we're not trying to jump start a D9 bulldozer, I'm wondering who's bright idea at Garmin or Kavlico it was to make the leads this size.

actually IMHO, it is a very bright idea. These sensor are not going into well designed automotive systems, where engineers work tirelessly to provide wire support and strain relief. They are used by the average Joe without that knowledge and are far more likely to not support the wire near the connector. Thicker wires can handle MUCH more flopping around without failing prematurely. Remember these usually go directly on engines that shake and vibrate constantly. It sounds like the kavlico designers understand their customers and engineered a product that will last.

I use white Amp butt splices (22-26ga), just trim a few strands from the lead and go. Solder sleeves, which some folks like, in my world were never used to splice wires, only used for shield terminations. I have repaired a number of "solder splices" that were bad due to bad solder joints.

Back