What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PMag Auto plug re-use

Bsquared

Well Known Member
Sorry if this has been asked before....I did a search and did not see any previous posts that were related. When you do a compression test at the annual condition inspection, or whenever you remove an auto plug for any reason, do you reinstall the plug using the non replaceable gasket. I am not referring to the copper gasket under the adapter....that should always be replaced. There are two possible scenarios.....you remove the plug using a 14MM socket and the adapter either stays put or else it comes out with the plug. P mag tech support recommends using new auto plugs whenever they are removed but what are people really doing?

Last edited:
Not a Pmag user, but I toss my autoplugs at each annual rather than try to clean them - they are too cheap especially when compared to aircraft plugs. But to be fair I'm also putting 300+ hours on them in an annual.

I usually used them for around 200 hours and replace them at that time. That is about every other year.

To the OP question:
- If the adapter comes out with the plug, replace the adapter copper gasket.
- If the plug comes out without the adapter, just put the plug back in (after you do a visual inspection for gap, lead, fouling and such).

I replace the plugs every year (~150 hours per year). This last time however the pulled plugs looked just fine to use again.

Carl

I have removed and reinstalled hundreds, maybe thousands of auto plugs in my lifetime and I cant think of any time I have replaced the captive gasket. I also have never replaced a copper gasket on an aircraft plug unless it was damaged. Its relatively easy to anneal them and they can be re used indefinitely.

Last edited:
I generally go 2 years / ~130hrs.
If I didn't already have a sandblaster cleaner I'd probably skip that and replace at every annual.

Back