What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel Pant Alignment issues

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
Spent the better part of two days trying to get the nose wheel pant to fit correctly.

Discovered that Van's had either a 1) manufacturing variance or 2) shipped the wrong part or 3) ???

The U-01431-L & -R are supposed to be mirrored. In our case the -R part is "skinnier" and the primary bends are not parallel.

IMG_5827.jpegIMG_5828.jpeg

Similar miss matched brackets came with some of the nose pants I've installed. I bent them to as close shape for initial fittings but invariably reshaped them as needed to work. They never aligned perfectly to the inner fiberglass surface. I would mix up a batch of flox paste & apply it to the inner fiberglass areas under the bracket/flange locations, cover it with thin plastic, than gently position the wheel pant over the brackets/fork/wheel assembly, prop it up in proper alignment & let the flox cure. Later after curing, I'd pull it all apart, clean up the new flox pads & drill the brackets to the wheel pants as there is now a clear imprint pattern inside the pant where the brackets & holes should be.

Last edited:
Similar miss matched brackets came with some of the nose pants I've installed. I bent them to as close shape for initial fittings but invariably reshaped them as needed to work. They never aligned perfectly to the inner fiberglass surface. I would mix up a batch of flox paste & apply it to the inner fiberglass areas under the bracket/flange locations, cover it with thin plastic, than gently position the wheel pant over the brackets/fork/wheel assembly, prop it up in proper alignment & let the flox cure. Later after curing, I'd pull it all apart, clean up the new flox pads & drill the brackets to the wheel pants as there is now a clear imprint pattern inside the pant where the brackets & holes should be.
Thanks Ralph -- unfortunately, this isn't a minor misalignment. There's about 3/4 of an inch between the wheel pant and the bracket "tangs" ...way too much to adjust with flox IMHO... :(

Checked part numbers, etc. It almost feels like the wheel pant is for a 6x6.00 tire -- which I know isn't in Van's inventory. Still head scratching.

Thanks Ralph -- unfortunately, this isn't a minor misalignment. There's about 3/4 of an inch between the wheel pant and the bracket "tangs" ...way too much to adjust with flox IMHO... :(

Checked part numbers, etc. It almost feels like the wheel pant is for a 6x6.00 tire -- which I know isn't in Van's inventory. Still head scratching.
Any chance you received a RV10 pant in error. Can somebody measure the width of a 6/7/8/9 pant, 14, & 10 pants to compare?

I recently received brackets for a 7A nose wheel pant and they look different (no lightening holes) to the 10/14 brackets, so probably your brackets are not for a different model... not sure what is the problem though, maybe manufacturing error?

Back