What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N Number

Mine's a Palindrome ...

For my RV-3.4 (under construction) - NX3XN

Took 2 years fighting with the FAA to "wrestle" it away from them ...

YMMV - But the FAA usually wins.

HFS
HRII N540HR - A 540 Harmon Rocket (Get It!)

As Mel said - The number I got from the FAA was 3XN - but because of the -3's age, I am able to put NX3XN on the sides ...

And ... FWIW, I don't have to display the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard either, as it's not required on a single seat airplane.

Last edited:
Mine's a Palindrome ...
Took 2 years fighting with the FAA to wrestle" it away from them ...
HFS
Just a reminder to those that don't know, the "X" following the "N" is NOT part of the registration number. It does not show up on any paperwork and is not to be used in any communications. It simply replaces the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard.

I would avoid 3 or less ie N28M. You will spend your entire trip being asked if it's your full call sign. It's annoying and also expensive since some bag of hammers made a business out of buying them up with a bot.

Never thought about ATC calling me out on short N number. One number two letters. The phonic words for the two letters are single vowel. Very easy to say.
With ADS-B it is likely they see your call sign and may not question you for full number. You can start off on initial call with "Experimental November -----.

Mine's a Palindrome ...
Took 2 years fighting with the FAA to "wrestle" it away from them ...
As Mel said - The number I got from the FAA was 3XN - but because of the -3's age, I am able to put NX3XN on the sides ...
And ... FWIW, I don't have to display the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard either, as it's not required on a single seat airplane.
Just for clarification...The "EXPERIMENTAL" placard IS required on single seat aircraft. It's the "PASSENGER WARNING" that's not required on single place aircraft.

Just for clarification...The "EXPERIMENTAL" placard IS required on single seat aircraft. It's the "PASSENGER WARNING" that's not required on single place aircraft.
Thank you - my mistake, and now my knowledge ..

But in my case, where I am going to use "X" on the N-number - doesn't that release me of the obligation for the Experimental placard in the cockpit of my RV3?

Thanks again - David

Thank you - my mistake, and now my knowledge ..

But in my case, where I am going to use "X" on the N-number - doesn't that release me of the obligation for the Experimental placard in the cockpit of my RV3?

Thanks again - David
In your case, yes. My point was that you must have one or the other. The fact that it is single place does not exempt the "Experimental" placard.

What about OU812 or ID10T?
My story, briefly. I've reserved N47AU for my -10 that I hope comes to life later this year. It's so numbered in memory of my brother in law, an absolutely wonderful human being, who died of cancer at the age of 58. He was a linebacker at Auburn University in the early 80s when I met and started dating his sister. He wore 47 on the field.
Miss you Russ.

Back