What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with System32 first start

david roe

PROBLEM RESOLVED!!! SCROLL DOWN FOR SOLUTION.

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping that someone else has had to deal with this.
I finished up my EFii System32 installation and am ready for the first start on a fresh major overhauled IO360 200HP in my RV8. No matter how many throttle strokes I prime it with (anywhere from 2-13 so far), when I hit the starter it will want to light up right away on like the first blade but once prime is burned away it quits. To me it sounds like a no fuel or not enough fuel issue. On my next attempt I'm planning on going into the global HP setting and increasing it about 15% or so. I'm guessing that would increase the fuel flow.
I'm a little out of my field here and am kind of at a loss as to where to go from here for trouble shooting. Perhaps there's a setting in the controller menu I'm missing? My way of thinking tells me that the injectors must be working as the cylinders are getting the prime. It sure wants to come to life but like I said it just isn't getting the fuel it needs, or so it seems to me.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and how to's.

SOLUTION!!!!!!!

So first off thanks to everyone for all of your input. Second the reason that I was not able to talk with Robert is that I got a new phone and I have an old brain. Typo in putting his number in my new phone! Grrrrr.

I was able to talk with Robert after I finally called the correct number and after some trouble shooting found the problem was most likely a smoked resister(?) in the Buss Manager. Sent it off for repair and everything came to life. The reason for the failure is worthy to mention here I guess. In the Buss Manager installation manual the wiring diagram for the pump relay doesn't label the terminals of the relay. It just shows a view of the wiring from the terminal view. I blindly wired my relay as shown in the diagram without verifying the +/- polarity for the relay (my bad). That resulted in me having the +/- reversed and even though the relay has a diode in it it still smoked a resistor or something in the BM. That's the most likely scenario for the failure I think. For those that are installing, know that the ground circuit is getting switched for the relay and verify that you're wiring your relay up properly. Most guys will I'm sure but I didn't.

I still had a gremlin to sort out though that I'll mention here to pass along for someone else who might need it. When I got it running my ECU2 wasn't working. The engine quit when the ECU (fuel control) or the ignition 2 was selected. Turned out to be that two of the wires in the CT (crank trigger) harness managed to get crossed from the factory. I didn't pay close enough attention to the color coding when I was installing or I could have caught this much earlier on. Robert verified which wires were crossed and once corrected everything was fine. Easy fix. Check the color coding on the connectors and make sure that gray goes to gray, blue to blue, red to red etc.

Last edited:
Check all of the settings, especially the fuel mapping. I have a legacy EFII system, but the same thing happened to me. My system was new in the box but I assumed it was programmed from Titan. It was not. The fuel mapping was not delivering enough fuel to sustain the engine running.

Contact Robert ?

Maybe contact Robert to get an opinion on what may be the issue??

Efii

Call Robert. For my 540, Theresa’s a setup page to verify the initial settings. Make sure you have the current maps; the base map should already be loaded. The global HP should be set to about 10% over your engine’s rated hp, so about 220 in your case.

To Bob's point it could be the global HP setting. I've heard of people input this incorrect and flood the cylinders with gas or in your case not enough. Robert would be glad to help I'm sure, excellent customer support with him.

Thanks Eric. I've talked to him and found the problem which I'll edit in my original post.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I spoke with Robert and we got it resolved which I'll edit in my original post. Thanks again for the help.

BTW I did see the base map numbers in there. Thanks!

Last edited:
Email

Thanks Eric. I've tried to call him but I just get a automated message that says that he's not taking calls at this time and to try back later, which I'll do. Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Don't forget to try email also...???

I've found e-mail works better than phone calls at times. I think he get busy and can handle e-mails faster.

Back