What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanger Homes

For the past two years I have been building an airpark 8 miles SW of Lubbock, TX (KLBB). The runway is buffalo grass.

I am ready to build my hanger home and was wondering if any one has floor plans they would be willing to share?

Regards,
Mike Stephenson

Buffalo Grass

dsc075678xq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Buffalo Grass

In response to a email:
The buffalo grass in the photo was planted in July of 2004. The photo was taken 5-10-2005. It has not been watered not has it been rained on since last winter.

We planted buffalo grass on our runway for two reasons. First the roots go down 15 feet and it does not have to be watered. If it receives 8-10 inches of rain per year it will stay green.

Secondly, it does not have to be mowed but twice per year. I would rather fly than mow. If you plant the right variety, it does not have to be mowed at all unless you want it to look like a putting green.

Buffalo grass is very hard to establish unless you know how to do it. The information on the internet is incorrect and I wasted a ton of money until I learned how to do it.

It is the best choice for turf runways, but please call me before buying the seed. My free advice will save you $ 10,000.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson

For the past two years I have been building an airpark 8 miles SW of Lubbock, TX (KLBB). The runway is buffalo grass.

I am ready to build my hanger home and was wondering if any one has floor plans they would be willing to share?

Regards,
Mike Stephenson
Mike,
I work in the Architecture business, specifically the Aviation Group of Rosser International in Atlanta, Georgia. We do hangars, terminals and support facilities for private, corporate and airline customers. We designed the new Aircraft Spruce East facility, and we have a Criminal Justice group that is doing the new prison in Lubbock (shameless project plug) as well. As someone in the business, I would like to suggest that you consider hiring an architect as well as looking at plans from other people.

Each home site is different, with good views, bad views and specific problem areas that will need to be overcome, and what worked wonderfully for, say, Roberta in Wisconsin may not work for you in Texas. The floor plan that fits her lifestyle may be totally wrong for yours...the picture window that overlooks her runway, when placed on your home site, might have you looking at your neighbor's backyard "used car lot", and so on. An architect can tailor your floor plan to your site and your lifestyle, taking advantage of your site's best features and minimizing it's less desirable aspects.

I'm not saying you won't find a wonderful plan from some other source (and the pictures of Roberta's home on the "other" airpark thread truely are stunning), but chances are that any plan you find in a book, magazine or from a helpful friend will have to be "adapted" to your specific site...a process that may end up taking as much time and money as having a "custom designed" set of plans...and the finished product may end up looking nothing like what it started out as...in essence, you will end up with a "custom" home anyway.

One more thing to consider is that building codes differ from city to city, state to state. A local architect will know the codes for your area, and will design your home in accordance with them. A plan from a book will have to be studied by a code official for compliance. Not a difficult process, just more time and money.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm...only trying to point out some of the pitfalls you could face. Yes, hiring an architect costs more than buying a plan from a book, but a good architect is worth every penny you will pay him/her, and save you money and headaches in the long run.

I wish I were local to you, as I would gladly offer my assistance...especially since I have hangar design experience (yes, they are built just a bit differently from your average home ;) ). However, from 1000 miles away (give or take a few gallons of 100LL) the best I can offer is to talk to a couple of architects I know in Houston and see if they can either recommend anyone in the Lubbock area, or possibly take the project on themselves if you're interested in persuing this option.

Best,

What should plans cost?

Michael:

I recently inquired about house plans for a 2000' sf with a local Architectural Firm. It is a 2 story common with an elevator. The price I received was was over $18000. The custom plans for the 2000 sf I live in now were less than $2000, 8 years ago. Is there a formula, say dollar per sf or percent of projected construction cost for plans? I want to use a professional architect, but I cant afford to pay over 10% of the total cost of the entire property for a set of plans.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robby Knox
RV-8 Finishing the Finishing Kit and hopefully starting my home at Eagle Neck(1GA0), this Autumn.

Michael:

I recently inquired about house plans for a 2000' sf with a local Architectural Firm. It is a 2 story common with an elevator. The price I received was was over $18000. The custom plans for the 2000 sf I live in now were less than $2000, 8 years ago. Is there a formula, say dollar per sf or percent of projected construction cost for plans? I want to use a professional architect, but I cant afford to pay over 10% of the total cost of the entire property for a set of plans.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robby Knox
RV-8 Finishing the Finishing Kit and hopefully starting my home at Eagle Neck(1GA0), this Autumn.
Robby,
There isn't an easy formula answer to this question, because no two architects are the same. There is a difference between an architect who designs factories, or strip malls, or schools and one who designs homes. A residential architect designs homes because he wants to design homes. It's where his interest and passion lay. A commercial or industrial architect can design a home, but his interest and passion are elsewhere. The difference is "vision", the architect's personal outlook on things, and it can make the difference between having just a house and having a real eye-opening jaw-dropper.

When you hire an architect you are buying that vision, and it is important that you find an architect who shares your personal vision for what this home is supposed to be. There is no value in hiring an architect who wants to design a palace when all you want is 4 walls and a roof. However, an architect who is himself a pilot, for instance, would relate and "connect" with you better than one who designs schools and/or hates flying. He shares your passion for aviation, and has a better chance of being in tune with the special needs of an airpark home, placement to the runway, sound issues, impact on the surrounding neighbors, and so on. If he costs more than the non-pilot architect, would it be worth the extra money to you? Is there extra value in his design because his vision and passion allow him to tailor the home to your specific mission?

There is an inescapable cost difference (both designing and building) between a basic house and a palace. You mentioned the price difference between the plans for your current home and your proposed design...does your current home have a hangar attached to it? Is it located in a middle-class subdivision or an up-scale neighborhood? A lot can change in 8 years. Building costs go up, land costs go up, new building codes require different and possibly more expensive construction methods...and on and on. Please remember also that the home and the hangar are separate buildings cost-wise, whether they are physically connected or not. There are spearate and different design rules and construction requirements for each. Was the $18,000 for both the house and the hangar? Are there any special requirements for the home (you mentioned an elevator...)? All of these things factor into the design cost, and while some architects will use a flat fee for a basic home, many will base their fee on the total cost of the project as that cost escalates, so all of these things do matter. As a rule of thumb, 6% - 7% of the final cost of the home (about what your real estate agent would charge to find a house for you) is not unusual or uncommon to design a nice house. If the total cost of your project (land, house and hangar together) are going to cost between $250,000 and $350,000, and the $18,000 was for both house and hangar, it's not that bad of a deal (5% - 7% says my calculator).

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if you are happy with the total package you're getting. Is your architect on the same wavelength with you? Does he see your project as something special, or just another job to pay his bills? Do you feel the value of the services you're receiving is worth the money you're paying? The answers will be different for each of us. There's a lot of homework to do to pick the right architect, and maybe your "inner voice" is telling you that you need to look at a few others. Competing for design work is nothing new to architects, we do it all the time. Talk to a few more, get them to do some basic sketches of their ideas (this should be relatively cheap), and see which one stands out above the others.

Best,

Regards,
Mike Stephenson
Mike,
Per my earlier post above, I checked with my friends in Houston, and they recommended Lubbock area architect Joe McKay. I sent you a private email with Joe's phone number. Please let me know how it turns out.

Regards,

Back