What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust pipe position

Sam_B

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Good evening forum experts. I received my Vetterman exhaust the other day and it is an absolute work of art. I have a question for those that have used Vetterman exhaust on an O-360, or simply those that are more experienced than I.

Here goes:

With the ball joints providing flexibility as to where to place the tailpipe (to use an automotive term), I’m wondering where to put the exhaust to exit into the slipstream.

Here’s my rough locations:
4BBC437B-BD6D-4A59-B648-1CC3B9CDFDFC.jpeg
5F1D984C-D56C-430B-9953-66B03F0B458A.jpeg
BE038580-3AFC-4014-A7AF-C1AEC2EF9619.jpeg

Is what I have too close to the exit ramp?

Is there an optimal position?

Am I overthinking this?

I will peruse through Tony Bingelis’ “Firewall Forward” as I lay down into bed tonight, but I’m hoping this forum is more productive for the Vans models specifically.

Attachments

• C99D3E6C-7A4E-4886-85B7-CD10EAF2BD55.jpeg
    C99D3E6C-7A4E-4886-85B7-CD10EAF2BD55.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
IIRC, Vetterman recommends at least 3/4" away from the exit ramps at the closest points of contact. This is to prevent contact between the exhaust and the structure during the 'wet-dog' shake at startup and shutdown.

Your exhaust seems to have straight pipes. To avoid cracks developing on the belly skin and excessive floor vibration felt by your feet due to exhaust-induced vibration, Vetterman sells turndown extensions and straight extensions. I didn't have any belly skin cracks but wanted to reduce the floor vibration. I already had the turndown exhaust, but they were short. So Clint at Vetterman's sent me two short, straight extensions. They are each attached by one bolt. Hint: Put the bolt in per the instructions so the bolt is pointed toward the center of the airplane and not visible to a bystander standing next to the airplane (not like I did).

i-FdnrsLm-L.jpg
i-dmrKFRw-L.jpg

And the instructions:

i-cBQQXrp-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Good evening forum experts. I received my Vetterman exhaust the other day and it is an absolute work of art. I have a question for those that have used Vetterman exhaust on an O-360, or simply those that are more experienced than I.

Here goes:

With the ball joints providing flexibility as to where to place the tailpipe (to use an automotive term), I’m wondering where to put the exhaust to exit into the slipstream.

Here’s my rough locations:
View attachment 54480
View attachment 54482
View attachment 54483

Is what I have too close to the exit ramp?

Is there an optimal position?

Am I overthinking this?

I will peruse through Tony Bingelis’ “Firewall Forward” as I lay down into bed tonight, but I’m hoping this forum is more productive for the Vans models specifically.
You really want the pipes as far away from the fuselage and exit ramp as possible, otherwise the exhaust impulses will work the belly skin and cause smoking rivets.

Skylor

You really want the pipes as far away from the fuselage and exit ramp as possible, otherwise the exhaust impulses will work the belly skin and cause smoking rivets.

Skylor
Good to know. I think I will also get the turndown tubes as mentioned above. Better to stop problems before they start

Back